Tuesday, April 6, 2010

DAY NINETY SIX- Healthy Eating Journal

Today, I bought my first turkey burger. I tried to buy saffron. Again.... not in a small town. I made the chicken (see recipe below) from the OSU cookbook Whit sent me. I highly recommend it. I would add corn instead of olives and use spray instead of olive oil to reduce calories. Olive oil does contain healhty fats though. I was watching some show last night (okay as I was clicking through channels) and it was talking about how to identify the good and bad fats in your meat. The marbling is collagen type fat and is good fat. He said the elastic looking shiny stuff is bad for you. He also said that for stewing meat, the cheaper meat cuts with some of the good fat showing is the best to use. I learn something new every day.

I also learned a great deal from my students today. I have them do oral caricatures for speech and they study the life of a famous person, dress as that person, tell us about themselves, then give a short speech actually given by that person. They did a great job and I learned info I never knew about some famous people. I also love the little Nike basketball my players from this year surprised me with yesterday out of the blue with their notes and some-day famous signatures. Thank you girls. I love it and you.

Breakdown of my eating day:
BREAKFAST: Banana- 90 calories
MORNING SNACK: 25 pretzels 55 calories, 0 sat. fat., 220mg sodium
LUNCH: spinach, 1/2 cup mandarin oranges, 2 tblsp. almond slices, w/Wishbone Balsamic Breeze salad spritzer- 1 calorie per spray) total 100 calories
tried the Yoplait light smoothie (90 calories but I only had one sip-- nasty tasting so threw it away)
AFTER SCHOOL SNACK: low-fat cottage cheese (1/2 cup- 100 calories) and lays stacks (15 plain- 200 calories)
DINNER: Chicken dinner (see recipe in blog) 300 calories w/out the olives, safron, and less oil. 1/2 cup fresh sliced strawberries (23 calories) no sugar added
Homemade chocolate cake (I left the recipe on the menu at the bottom) 250 calories

Total calories today with Lays stacks and chocolate cake included= 1100-1200

I can have my cake and eat it too! :D I just have to be smart about what I eat, when I eat it, and how I cook it. Oh.... and faithfully do my crunches and squats each night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed