Wednesday, April 7, 2010

DAY NINETY SEVEN- Healthier Eating Journal

It was a beautiful day today, but it was cold last night. Compared to the other side of the state yesterday though... I can't complain. My husband said they woke up to 8 inches of snow and had to use a snow day yesterday! Meanwhile, I'm thinking I need to get the lawnmower out this weekend and cut the grass here. I need to get at least one full hour of healthy exercise this week (that means more than just walking), so the lawn mowing might be it.

I was researching long term effects of healthy eating and here is the lastest tidbit (which is enough to scare anyone into eating healthier and exercising more) that I found:

"Calorie restriction experiments since the 1930's in many species have shown that for every excess dry ounce of food (28 grams, 120 calories) you eat, especially empty sugar calories from drinks, rice, white bread, or potatoes, you lose one hour of your life and health, the equivalent of smoking 4 cigarettes. In other words 600 extra calories a day (2 soft drinks and a candy bar) will shorten your healthy years (youth) and lifespan 8 years on average, the same as a pack of cigarettes a day. Not getting at least 1 hour of heavy exercise each week also shortens healthy years, youth, and lifespan about 8 years."

Something to think about....

My stomach is still feeling bloated, but I've decided the word bloated isn't right... it feels packed... heavy and I don't mean six-pack on the abdomen type packed either~ I can't figure it out really because my body's clearly up to something. I'm eating normal to low calories, but I really think it's "what" I'm eating more than the calories I'm eating.

Today's food intake:
BREAKFAST- Activa Yogurt (70 calories)
Morning Snack- pretzels (55 calories)
LUNCH:
4 oz. Salmon w/spritzer and lemon pepper (110 calories) AND 1/2 cup cottage cheese w/mandarin oranges (170)
AFTER SCHOOL SNACK: 15 Lays stacks (150 calories)
DINNER:
4 oz. Salmon w/deli mustard and spritzer(115 calories) AND baked sweet potato w/butter spray (100 calories)
DESSERT:
Homemade chocolate cake from yesterday (see recipe in blog) 250 calories

Total is 1000-1100 calories but I still feel bloated or stuffed. I'm thinking it might be the onions or maybe I need to skip potatoes tomorrow and go for something lighter in my stomach.

I was going to do the tomato soup recipe tonight, but I was missing fresh cilantro and garlic. I need to go to the store again. I found some egg roll wraps that look pretty cool (100 calories)-- almost like a pastry-- in the Asian food section last trip and I'm thinking about experiementing with an eggroll wrap-type dinner tomorrow since I need to go to the store anyway. I was missing an ingredient for the black bean salsa too, so I didn't do a very good job of following my menu (or being prepared to follow it today). Please learn from my mistakes. :D My son-in-law is probably getting tired (or scared) of all my food experiments, but no one's died yet and we're all learning things we never knew! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed