Tuesday, April 20, 2010

DAY 108- Healthier Eating Journal

Well, life felt back to normal today with students back at school and the weekend trip quickly fading. The weather was amazing. It was the first time this year that I actually turned on the A/C in my car (and I don't turn it on until it hits 80 degrees). The students were great. I think the weather has us all in a good mood. Good luck to Logan (and Kelsey) on the high jump today. I had hoped to travel to their track meet, but the grandson won once I got home. He wanted ice cream from the drive-in. A baby cone and some sandals for summer were in store for this evening with Rello. Then we went to the store to buy some healthier food.

The store has these cute little metal shopping carts and he was also my shopper in the store. I picked up some fresh cut pork chops, asparagus, and cilantro. Grapes and bananas went into his cart too as well as his strawberry yogurt. He was starting to wind down because he had a fun trip to the park w/mom for a play group and he had skipped his nap. He'll be going to bed early tonight! Mom is glad about that. She's still pregnant and a two-year-old can be exhausting. :D I'm not pregnant and I have a hard time keeping up!

That reminds me. I know people say breakfast is your most important meal of the day and in many ways it is, but I disagree with the myth that you can eat as much as you want because you have all day to burn it off. Why do that? Yes, you have all day to burn it off and yes, you need to eat breakfast, but that kind of mentality can make you eat a lot of unnecessary calories. Eat to get the digestive system rolling and to feed your body for the day's activities, but don't get carried away. 200 Calories for breakfast during the work week is plenty. In fact, you can just grab a yogurt cup, or a piece of toast, a bowl of cold cereal w/skim milk, or a granola bar, or even a scrambled egg with spinach and little shredded cheese all for under 200 calories each. If you're looking to lose weight and not just maintain it (you have to cut some calories). My other tip-- eat every few hours and not just three times a day. Your body gets used to it and starts pacing itself AND you get to eat pretty much all day. Know what to eat and what you are eating though.

Today I had Dannon's Light and Fit Yogurt (80) and a banana (80) for breakfast. That was plenty of food and under 200 calories (160 total). I had pretzels for a morning snack (I like the crunch and that I can have 55 of them for 110 calories). For lunch I took a Starkist 2.6 oz. chunk light tuna pouch (80) and 10 Ritz crackers (160) for a total of 240 calories for lunch. It was plenty because I'd been snacking on my pretzels all morning, plus the tuna and crackers are filling. I had the grapes for my after school snack. (15 grapes= 50 calories) Then I grilled a 4 oz. boneless pork chop (132 calories) and made some brown minute rice. When the rice was cooked I added a small can of diced tomatoes (drained) and some chopped fresh cilantro( 1 cup of rice=155). Rice goes well w/pork chops. I also steamed some fresh aspargus in the microwave Asparagus (1/2 cup or 6 spears= 20 calories). For dessert I had a small piece of pumpkin pie (1/2 the normal size) with a small dab of lite cool-whip (200).

Today's total calories= 1100 approx. calories
Yogurt
Banana
Pretzels
Grapes
Tuna Fish
Crackers
Pork Chop
Rice w/tomatoes and cilantro
asparagus
pumpkin pie w/light cool-whip

As I look through my food list for today, I ask myself these things: Did I eat something green? Yes. Did I eat some healthy fats? Yes. Did I eat fresh vegetables and fruits? Yes. Did I eat protein? Yes. Did I get enough fiber in my diet (I added this because Raundee said we're supposed to get 20 grams a day). I just added mine up and I got 9. So..... my challenge tomorrow is to add fiber without adding too many calories. Sweet potato and oatmeal for sure. I'll have my spinach salad w/sliced almonds and pears because just 1.2 oz. of sliced almonds is 4 grams of fiber and one small pear has 4 grams of fiber too. The one thing that really surprised me though that's loaded w/fiber is an avocado. 1/2 Cup has 5 grams of fiber. That's as more fiber in just one salad than I had for my entire day today. I might have to look at Fiber One bars too because I had no idea I was that low on my fiber intake and one of those (w/chocolate by the way) has 9 grams of fiber. Always something new to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed