Saturday, April 24, 2010

DAY 112- Healthier Eating Journal

DO YOU REALLY NEED THAT CAKE? Are you willing to give up a healthy meal for it? Okay... some cake can be made to taste fairly good with fewer calories, but even fewer calorie normal-sized pieces of cake are 250 calories. Your normal piece of cake prepared from a cake mix and slathered with frosting is 400 calories people! Yes, I'm a little upset I ate the cake thinking.. hmmm... 250-300 calories and then finding out.. NO! 400 Calories. Well, it was good. But if I had to do it over again I would just say, "No thank you as yummy looking as it was." Or, I have to really manage the rest of the calories for that day. The problem is, cake has little to no nutritional value, so you're giving up more than just your calories when you eat it; you're also not gaining anything. That said, you can make a piece of cake for fewer calories. Angel food (sugar free especially) is a perfect example.

Okay, other than my cake meldown (after the fact) the baby shower was a lot of fun (thank you again Jackie) and it's always good for your heart to visit with other ladies. Jackie decorated and we just had sandwiches, homemade fruit salad, chips, and of course.... the cake. :D The company was great; the visiting was therapy for all; and I got to see Gma Shorty again. She confessed that she has not been watching what she eats since I left and has put on a few pounds. We also discussed that she will be 88 soon and she is still driving! :0 It was good to see her though as she has been gone to Oregon with her daughter.

The baby shower games were fun. The melted candy bars in the diapers was disgusting, but fun trying to guess the flavor... that's just wrong. Gma Shorty was gagging. She was a good sport though. Mandy is 11 squares of t.p. around. Jackie was smarter than me and passed on the cake. I sent some home with her for the boys... DON'T EAT IT JACKIE... 400 calories! Sorry!

We got on the subject of food and fiber (of course) and Korrine said that fiber speeds up your metabolism and also confirmed that we don't eat near enough. That led to a recitation of everyone guessing what was high in fiber and what was not. It was Fiber Education 101. Of course we ate the cake right after that so I'm not sure what we learned from it. I am eating my cup of raspberries tomorrow though. :D

Today's Food Intake:
BREAKFAST- Frosted Mini Wheats (230 and 7g fiber)
SNACK: banana (90 cal. and 3g fiber)
LUNCH: ½ sandwich (200), 1 cup fruit salad w/fresh apples, grapes, and bananas (100), 15 chips (140) and 1 pc. of white cake w/raspberries and frosting (400) Yes, I had a heart attack when I looked this up. No more cake for me. I like it… but not that much… it was as much as my whole lunch! Thanks to the fruit salad I did get 4 more grams of fiber.
Snack: 10 Grapes- (34 cal. And .4g of fiber)
DINNER: Twice Potato w/Egg & Onion. Use a small potato or a large one and only eat half. Scrub it well and bake it in the microwave. Don’t overcook it. If it shrivels, you’ve overcooked it. Let it cool while you chop up your green onions, whisk your one egg, and shred a little low-fat cheese. Dice up the baked potato (60) and cook it in a small no-stick fry-pan w/Pam spray and I usually squirt a little butter spray on top of the potatoes once they’re in there and add the onions (10). Cook for a couple of minutes stirring a couple of times. Then, sprinkle with your favorite seasoning and add your egg (90). Cook until egg is done and scrambled into the mix. Sprinkle on a few bacon bits (25) and add a little salsa (20) when you get it out. I’d be adding a little low-fat cheese if I hadn’t already had that piece of cake! If you add cheese, turn to low heat and put the lid on it. Let it sit about 30 seconds to melt the cheese, then take it off. 205 calories w/out the cheese.

Total Calories Today (thanks to a piece of cake): 1400 and 16 grams of fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed