Friday, April 9, 2010

DAY NINETY NINE- Healthier Eating Journal

It just occurred to me that tomorrow will mark 100 days since I've been on this journey to change the way I eat. I feel the need to plan some celebrating of some sort. Not quite sure what. Open to suggestions. Seems counterproductive to celebrate with food, but maybe I'll make myself that awesome homemade fudge cake recipe again. Or...maybe I'll buy myself a new pair of pants. They're all hanging off me right now. I found an old pair in my dresser this morning and put them on, but Kali informed me that they were highwaters. I'm glad someone's honest with me. Won't wear those to school again. So my daughter (who will be having her baby any week now) dug out all her old pant suits that I bought her when she was in state leadership in high school and I found a couple that look great. They all fit, but I'm just not quite young or hip enough to make a couple of the outfits work on a woman pushing 50. Some ladies can do it... but not me. I look like an old lady trying to look young... which I'm not. Still, I have a few pair of dress pants that fit now! :D

I could, of course, go to some yard sales in the morning and claim I deserve it in celebration of 100 days of healthier eating. Yep... I'm going to use that one. I need to go check on Grandma Shorty too. Maybe I'll take her a piece of my chocolate cake. It won't be anything like her famous pies, but it'll be fun to visit with her and hear about her latest adventures with Esther and Wheel of Fortune and the new little twins. Maybe I'll take the pregnant daughter shopping for a new baby outfit since we'll be seeing him in a week or so. So many options.

Okay... FOOD Talk..... I will skip right to the chase. I tried turkey burger for the first time today. Now nobody shoot me with your vegetarian darts, but it was just not good. I made the turkey meatloaf from the cookbook and we all agreed it wasn't "bad" but it just wasn't normal meatloaf. No one took seconds and we all like meatloaf. The only reason we leave any is so we can have a meatloaf sandwich the next day. So on the bright side, I didn't have seconds and I won't have to add up the calories for a meatloaf sandwich tomorrow. The texture and taste is just a lot different than hamburger. It's kind of mushy and bland tasting to me. We killed it with ketchup and ate just to say we did, but we all voted that in our house the meatloaf would remain hamburger based. I also would modify the recipe (and did) to eliminate frying anything before it goes into the meatloaf. It's just not necessary. I also throw fresh spinach into the meatloaf (chopped up) and that was the one thing that still tasted good.

I watched that show Food Revolution tonight on ABC. There's a lot more to it than what I originally thought. I didn't realize the actual programs he's establishing for kids and thought it was absolutely awesome what one person is doing for the problem of obesity in America. One teenage girl that worked in his program was obviously overweight and she said that even at her age she had spots on her liver from her poor eating habits and that her doctor said she may only have 7 years left to live. And she wasn't gigantic. I see her size kids in schools all the time. He also does so many other things that are just genius. He's passionate about it. He uses the word "revolution" and he means it. And though they said he wrote a book, he's not a celebrity in my book because I didn't even know who he was before this. He seems like an ordinary guy with a cool English accent. It makes you realize that each of us could make a difference. I encourage everyone to watch it.

Here's my food intake today:
BREAKFAST- Banana (80 calories)
SNACK: 55 Pretzels throughout the school day (110 calories)
LUNCH: 1 cup turkey chili, 1 slice of homemade whole wheat bread, 1 banana (300 calories total lunch)
AFTER SCHOOL SNACK: granola bar (90)and another banana (80)
DINNER: Turkey Meatloaf per OSU cookbook recipe (210 calories), baked potato w/1/3 cup of cottage cheese instead of sour cream (160), 1/2 cup green beans (20)

TOTAL=1100 calories today

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed