Thursday, April 15, 2010

DAY 104- Healthier Eating Journal

I'm doing this early because I only have time to run home after school, type this up, change clothes, grab my after school snack, go to the store and get food for our drama practice tonight, head back to the school for the practice before drama practice, thengo home and get packed for my trip to the other side of the state after school tomorrow. Now that was a run-on! My calorie counting is trickling into my students because I am constantly talking about sodium, saturated fat, and how many calories are in things. So I challenged them to ask the people at the drive-thru or the restaurant how many calories were in whatever they ordered and see what happened. Two of my students did that this past weekend and their stories are quite interesting. Both were at a drive-thru.

Student #1 was told that he didn't know and when she got up to the window to pay a lady (the manager) told her that they did know and gave her an entire calorie sheet that McDonalds will provide you. It's quite nice and quite informative. She said the guy "got in trouble" for telling her that. She brought me the sheet and the students wanted to add up their calories. It was quite interesting to watch them read off their typical McDonald's order and see what the calories added up to. So then we had to talk about age and how active you are. I explained that if you burn off 2500 calories, for example and only take in 1200-- that's bad. I did tell them that the average for their age is 2000 calories and that from there they have to determine how physically active they are. On the other hand, if they go home and sit in front of their computer, video games, or TV for the rest of the night, they have to watch their calories a lot closer. It's kind of a "reward" system. Then they wanted to know how many calories this burned off and how many calories that burned off. I knew some of the things, but now..... I have to do more research.

Student #2 also asked how many calories were in the thing she ordered at the drive-thru and he not only told her that he didn't know... he told her that she didn't need to know!!! Her mom was so mad that they went in! Long story short, the manager came out, the guy apologized, they told her the calories. WoW! I had a student who came in at lunch today (for drama practice... yes that's pretty much my life right now) and she was telling me that I've really got her thinking about calories and what she eats and saturated fat now. She said her dad has high cholesterol and described what he eats and how she's going to help him start making healthier food choices. So... I think it's important not just to talk about the calories with kids these days, but also to talk to them about the saturated fat and sodium, etc.

Then... my daughter sent me to school with a new Special K snack bar to try. They're called Fruit Crisps. There's two in a package/serving and they taste like thin pop-tarts. The two crisps together are 100 calories. My new favorite 100 calorie treat!!! She sent two with me and had one of the boys at school try it and he told all the other students how awesome they taste. Now I do have to say (and I told them this) although it's a low cal treat... I'm not sure that makes it healthy. It's still healthier to eat a banana or apple. But I know kids (myself included) are going to munch on munchies every now and then. So... it was an interesting day.

My food intake for today:
BREAKFAST: I had my Special K fruit crisp and an activa yogurt for breakfast (170)
SNACK: I had 1/2 of the package of fruit crisp (one bar- 50 calories) for a snack

LUNCH: Fresh spinach salad w/mandarin oranges, sliced almonds, basalmic spritzer, cheese stick (250)

AFTER SCHOOL SNACK: My son-in-law brought home wal-mart honey bbq boneless wings (I had 6= 160 calories) and I found this web site for calories on most of wal-mart's deli food: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/walmart-deli

DINNER: I will be taking food to the rehearsal tonight (which I need to go get right now) so whatever it is... I won't go over 600 calories for myself-- dessert included -- and Becca's making cookies so I'm going to have one! I will also have some more fruit and veggies, because I've really only had one serving of each so far today and that's not enough.

Didn't have the cookie. Made some fruit salad so ate that and a few Sun Chips. My daughter was evil and bought donuts knowing I love apple fritters. My sweet tooth is going a little too crazy! 300 Calories in that donut, but I had that instead of Becca's cookies which ended up being those German chocolate bar things that are loaded and just as much as a donut. The bad thing about donuts is the sat fat-- 5g. Yikes! Thanks to the donut I hit 500 evening calories and now have extra sit-ups to do! I do not recommend eating donuts more than once in a great while because of the sat. fat and obvious lack of nutritional value in general. Although there must be some apple in an apple fritter??? :D

Total Calories Today 1200-1300

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed