Wednesday, January 27, 2010

DAY TWENY SEVEN- January 27, 2010

An entire sweet potato or 1 tblsp of peanut butter? That was the question for me today. Both had 100 calories. The peanut butter was homemade and I ate a teaspoon just to try it. It was hands down the best I've ever eaten. I could see how a teenager or an active athlete could benefit from eating a little of this during the day, but calorie-wise this older person (me) chose the sweet potato to go with the delicious fish recipe Raundee had me make today. I got two out of three right on the menu today. I still can't find the items for the lunch recipe Raundee, but I had a spinach salad with chicken, craisins, cherry tomatoes and lite dressing. I had chips and salsa for one snack today and for my other one Kali brought me these light snack crackers (they're very thin and crispy)along with Hummus (which I had never eaten before). So let's talk about dips shall we?

Hummus 25 calories per tblsp – I’m going to try it as a sandwich spread, but I like salsa or just plain chips better. I think the Hummus would be great as a spread though. So here's my DIP TIPS: When eating foods that you dip—1) try to lose the “dip” all together 2) if you dip, don’t scoop big piles on—you could easily put a full tblsp on EACH cracker or chip. That could add up calories big time. You might think, "Oh, I'll just have 6 chips, but if you scoop the thing w/tbsp. every time you're looking at 150 calories (Hummus example) just for your dip! Yikes! And that's a low-cal dip. 3) If you do dip, getting just enough to get the taste and still enjoy the original food you’re eating will help you develop healthier eating habits, and it will save you a ton of calories. One last thing on the chips—determine about how many you’re going to have ahead of time (so you don’t overeat) then IF you add a dip, barely dip. Once the chips/crackers are gone, you’ll still be full and you won’t eat as many calories.

ANOTHER SCOOP on chips and dips-- I think Tostito Scoop chips are a bad choice (by the way, look for whole grain when buying chips and baked if pleasing). They are a recipe for major dipping. Think about it.... you can easily put a tblsp. of any type of dip in ONE chip. Even salsa has about 20 calories per tblsp. I'd go with the flat chips and just "dip" your chip instead of "scooping" your dip. Just a thought....

Another thought (not about food).... It is one thing to forgive, it is another to allow yourself to remain in an abusive or destructive situation or environment. I've seen too many people do that and it's sad. Yes, we should forgive, but that doesn't mean we go back for more. Sometimes, no matter how much you love someone or something, you have to remove yourself. People can change, but once a pattern is established over time, we have to be careful about forgiveness being confused with giving up our right to not be abused or to stand up and say "this is wrong". Yes forgive, and in some situations-- get some help to work it out-- but no, don't allow yourself to remain in situations that bring you down emotionally, physically, and spiritually. When Christ visited the temples during his ministry and saw the moneychangers "selling religion" and mocking that which is sacred, what did he do? How did he feel? I'm guessing he wasn't real happy since the Bible tells us he started upturning tables (pardon the very obvious paraphrase).

I've also been reading a lot about how our innerself drives our eating habits and we like to kid about eating a pint of ice cream when we're stressed (I like Moosetracks), but there's a lot to that. I'm not saying don't eat the ice cream-- I'm just saying do it as a treat-- not a comfort. Do they make sugar-free Moostracks? Why did I have to think of Moosetracks right before bed! I already did my workout, but I might do 20 crunches to get my mind off the Moosetracks.
Life is good. It was another good day. I am blessed with a great job, wonderful co-workers and students, the best family anyone could ask for and a husband who has loved me through thick and thin (get it). Love you sweetie! :) Oh, and my current and former players (I don't want them to pout). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed