Saturday, January 23, 2010

DAY TWENTY TWO- January 22, 2010

Some days you feel like the donkey on Shrek... you know when Shrek tells him he has to sleep outside and he sings his little song. Dieting and/or "eating healthy" can have times like that. Life can have times like that. Of course the donkey got over it quickly due to his great sense of humor, so I'd say if you're going to pursue a change in your life, you better have, or develop, a great sense of humor to get you through it. Plus, he always had a friend (Shrek) who stuck with him even when Donkey's habits (we'll compare it to dieting/eating healthy) drove him nuts. Admit it... when you try to make a change like this, some of your friends and family get a little testy or tired of it if you stick to it more than just a couple of weeks. They want you to eat that big piece of chocolate cake with them or to stop looking at the food labels.
We'll, we can have our cake and eat it too, but we have to learn to earn. If I want the cake, I have to consider the total picture of what I've eaten (both calorie and content/sugar-wise), and I have to be willing to exercise. If I do that, no problem-- eat the cake. You just can't have your cake and eat it every day. That's self indulgent (and fattening).

Oh, and I forgot to weigh myself yesterday because it was a very hectic day. However, I don't think I shared that I decided to weigh myself somewhere that someone else has to read the scale with me and they are recording it for me (that accountability thing again). Now I know some of you are saying "no way!" but suck it up. It is what it is! So anyway, I weighed myself in the wrestling room and the P.E. teacher is keeping my weight log for me. He even gives me pep talks which is kind of funny, but actually pretty helpful. Today was wrestler weigh-ins so here I am in line with the wrestlers and they're all looking at me. I have some of them in class though, plus some of them know I'm weighing on the scale down there, so the word spread quickly as to why I was in line. When I stepped on the scale, I had to preface it (this is a woman-thing) with how my husband had just been down and I ate out and ate more than normal and I'd probably gained weight this week (which I really believed would happen like when Jackie went on vacation), so when the scale read 159 I about fell over. I got several pats on the back and you would have thought I'd lost 10 lbs. instead of 2. It really showed me that it's more about "what" I eat though and how often I exercised than even the calories. I never thought I'd be so happy about just losing 2 lbs.... but I was. I think the sludge chili from the night before "cleansing" my system helped too. Sorry, had to say it. It was the truth. So, if anyone's out there doing this with me, don't give up, just keep doing it... even if you feel like the donkey sometimes... :)

4 comments:

  1. I have my cake and eat it everyday and I haven't lost any weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's important to celebrate every victory (no matter how big or small)! Keep up the good work! YOU ROCK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I no longer feel like singing "I'm all alone out here". You Shannon, are one of my Shreks! :) Keep pushing me and thank you for the kudos--even old people need them. P.S. you need to send me another menu and work-out (I don't want to feel like a loser though so don't tell me to run 2.5 miles this time :) Not quite there yet! :)0 Love you though. :0

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed