Thursday, January 28, 2010

DAY TWENTY EIGHT- January 28, 2010

I found out something today that is still just shocking to me.... a cup of flour has 455 calories!!! In my mind I've always just pictured it as low calories because it's just wheat powder. Okay, to me it's just wheat powder.

They had potato soup on the lunch menu at school today and I thought about saving my salad for dinner since I was going to go watch the boys game tonight and I wanted to eat soup for lunch (sorry Linda) so I looked up how many calories there are in potato soup. It varied from 220-345 on average. Then I looked up low calorie potato soup recipes. The first one I went to had the recipe and didn't list the calories but they called it low-calorie potato soup. Go figure. After searching through the different recipes (I don't consider hashbrowns with a cream of something soup to be potato soup-- sorry), I just decided to see how much my own potato soup would add up to in calories. I start with 2 strips of bacon snipped up in little squares and chopped onions and celery and I cook them all together until the bacon is browning then I add the diced up potatoes (4) and cook them a little bit. Next I add just enough water to cover the potatoes and then I let it boil gently until the potatoes are soft but not mushy. I drain a can or bag of corn and add to it along with 2 cups of of cold 2% milk with 2blsp of flour already stirred up and dissolved in the milk. I stir as I add the milk because of the flour. I think your soup would be fine without the flour too-- just add 1 cup of milk instead. the potato water makes it thick anyway. If you don't add the flour and just do one cup of milk you save yourself about 100 calories. All together you're looking at 700 calories for the whole pot but divide by 4 for per person calories. I used to add a can of evaporated milk instead of regular milk but the small 12 oz can (which is what I usually add is 480 calories!!!!). Just stick to 2 or 1% milk at 100-120 calories per cup instead!!
So that was a long way around saying I ate a cup of potato soup for lunch.

I had morning practice so I ate a banana real quick before the bell rang, but that was it. I did get my apple in for an afternoon snack. The big deal today was the weigh-in of course. I dreaded it because I don't feel like I've lost much more than last week. It wasn't much but I lost 2lbs again. I'm at 157. I know it's not much, but I'm okay with 2lbs a week as long as I'm liking what I eat and I'm not killing myself on the exercise (which I'm not). In fact, I really need to focus on that part once basketball is over and find things that naturally fit into what I like to do.... like sip hot chocolate while lounging by the fire. :) I'll work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed