Monday, January 18, 2010

DAY EIGHTEEN- January 18, 2010

How do you stop a runaway train? If you said "jump in front of it" you just threw yourself under the train (or bus) and it kept going. There's a lesson in that. Am I the only one who has thrown myself in front of the train thinking I could somehow stop it? So how do you stop it? Communication. You can communicate that there is a problem, but the people on the train and the operators in control of the switches are the only ones who can stop the train.

So breakfast was a challenge to find something green. It was a day of "cheating" I am ashamed to admit. I ate a banana that was still a little green :) for breakfast. For lunch I had team lunch again so I had pulled pork and pasta salad. I drank water and didn't have dessert so that was the positive. I also had my carbs (pasta). For dinner, I completely spaced bringing my dinner to the game and I've been so good about it. I was foodless and that's dangerous. My husband made oatmeal craisin cookies for the girls so ate two small ones on the way to the game and called it my "grains" snack. :) I kept telling myself, "there's no corn syrup in it at least". Between games I ate 1/2 bag of popcorn (vegetable) and a couple of the girls brought me a weight watcher ice cream bar (dairy) that they promised me only had 100 calories. It was pretty good. I drank water again. I looked up the calories on the oil-popped popcorn and it's 110 for 2 cups. I didn't eat more than that so I'm feeling better about myself. Of course I probably need to add a few calories for the butter, but I know I didn't hit 300 calories. . So not a very healthy dinner, but at least I didn't go all crazy.
Okay, I just looked up oatmeal raisin cookies and I'm never buying them again. The store-bought ones are around 350 calories. However, the homemade ones seem to range anywhere from 90-155 calories PER COOKIE. So when you sit there and eat three or four you're eating enough calories for a whole dinner. Now if I was going to exercise that off-- maybe I could do that... but I'm not doing anything but Tai Chi tonight and it'll relax and stretch me, but I'm not envisioning the calories melting away (or the two cookies), so note to self: Go easy on the cookies-- even homemade ones.
It was a stressful day and I seem to crave sugar when I'm under a lot of stress. It's very obviously a comfort food for me. Last night we woke up to Grandma hollering. The water heater caught on fire in the room near her bedroom. It was a small fire, but she was very shaken until we got it put out. She had a new one installed today. My husband had to hit the road again, so I am sad. Thus I need sugar. On another stress note, some people focus so much energy on the negative that they can't see the positive. At my age, I just want to enjoy each day. Keep it simple. Smell the roses. You get the picture. On a brighter note, wasn't the sunshine a beautiful thing today? I almost thought of spring-- my favorite time of the year. Speaking of spring, I need to "spring" out of bed early for morning practice, so I better get to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Alright Coach K, I am back from my trip in Seattle with a few, yes a few confessions. I fell of the eatting healthy wagon a wee little bit.
    The good points are that I did eat plenty of fresh seafood and shellfish, with fresh steamed veggies but the down side is that my Washington family are rice and pasta eatters too, which means that we ate rice and pasta with every thing. I tried to manage my portions but it was sooo good it was hard.
    We did however walk ALL over Seattle from the ferry docks to Pike Street, to the Monorail tram, from the tram out to the International district, then back to the ferry, so I did get plenty of exercise.
    Weight in this morning......I gained 1 pound from where I started out at on New Years day. A minor set back, but the good thing is I know that that by you setting this challange up I can lose the weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A vacation can easily set you back 5lbs. Just think how much you'd weigh right now if you hadn't lost the 4lbs. before you went on vacation.:) For me, my eating habits are actually getting pretty good (becoming habits), so now I need to focus a lot more on the exercise part. Not just doing it-- but finding what fits me and making it a habit. We can face that challenge together. :) It's good to have someone else to cheer me on. Thank you Jackie.

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed