Sunday, January 3, 2010

DAY THREE- January 3rd, 2010

Well today was interesting. You would think that since I am in charge of myself I'd lighten up, add a lot more sugar to my menu, skip the exercise part... What is wrong with me. I did eat the small sliver of apple pie, but I said no to homemade red velvet cake. And, when everyone else was eating their second helping of Grandma Shorty's pie, I said no. Okay, before I sound too wonderful to myself... I need to work on "how" I say no. I should not say it like the world is ending (that is how I said it today). I need to work on my attitude. If I wanted the red velvet cake, then I need to get busy putting exercise back into my world so I can have that stuff more often.
On a brighter note, the reading part really helped me today. While Whitney B. was falling asleep during Sunday School (yes, I just told on you) I was actually paying attention. I also read from another good book when I got home. Here's a couple of lines out of it and something to keep in mind as I take this journey to change. "Physical beauty becomes the message of life's story rather than a mere detail.... Desiring acceptance from the world, we undertake any number of measures to look like the world says we should look." As I read this I thought it was important to explain why I'm doing this. I think we need balance. I'm not trying to be "skinny" or a model though I realize I'm just so close to model material. :) The quotes above are so true BUT this is no excuse for the rising obesity rate in our country. We are comfort eaters. I am a comfort eater. Through this journey I want to find the balance between enjoying my piece of cake, but not making it my goal. I also don't intend to try to retain my prior youth's body (it went south many moons ago), but I do want to find balance. And, it's not just about the food.

Today at church a guy talked about how he was making a New Year's list and his wife took it from him and added some things for him :) then his three kids took a turn :). While it was funny (and it was because I know them) he said it made him realize that sometimes our changes come by listening to what others think we need or just giving of our time to the people in our life who matter the most. Ahhhhh moment. It was such a great realization. You are helping me, so I'm sure that's a checkmark somewhere on your New Year's list. So back to balance, we're not perfect, but my love for this life is. Grandma Shorty was sitting in her chair yesterday and out of the blue she said, "You know, some of my older friends (remember she's 87) just don't really like life anymore..... but I really do. Sure we have some pains, but I just love it!" You know, I think that's why she's 87 and still around. Something to be learned from that.

Okay, so I snuck a small piece of Greg's banana bread today. Other than that, I did pretty well. I go back to work tomorrow. That will be the real test. Raundi, my husband's sister is my coach tomorrow and she says I have to do Yoga. I've never done yoga, so I have to go to u-tube and find something that shows me what to do. If it resembles a pretzel of any sort, I will definitely modify. I will share some of her words of wisdom tomorrow night because they were really good. Thanks Raundee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed