Friday, June 11, 2010

Thursday, June 10- DAY 155- Healthier Eating Journal

Kalli-- call me. Kelsey K has my number or Timmons. I will come see you before you leave for the summer. I ran out of time before I left and you were my last bag of cookies that didn't make it. Sorry. :[

Sorry for not getting this posted yesterday but we spent the majority of the day on the road. We came back to the eastern side of the state and I watched the temperature drop as we drove. It's still very beautiful here though surrounded by all the mountains and greenery. After a four hour drive we had just enough time to grab some warmer clothes from our house and get back on the road again to head up to Rock Creek Camp by Ashton for a girls church camp. That was another hour on the road.

We did so-so on the eating while traveling. We got a later start than we had hoped for but I still ate my Raisin Bran Extra in the morning when I got up because I knew we'd be on the road and I'd need to get some fiber down me before I was tempted to eat other things when I was bored while driving. It was almost noon when we dropped my husband's office stuff off at his new office and met the other principal. Nice guy. Nice school. I know my husband will enjoy it there.

There was a Subway in town and I was craving breakfast food more than sandwiches and my husband told me they have new breakfast options now so we stopped there. It was great! I advise you to try it if you're on the road. I had an English muffin with egg white (no yolk)-- they offer it that way on the menu and I've never had just egg white on a sandwich before-- bacon (one thin slice that they break in half), cheese (ask for their lowest calorie)and a tomato. Then they toast it and I asked them to add fresh spinach to it after they toasted it. It was SO good. If you don't add the bacon it's 150 calories but it 195-200 with the bacon and well worth it. Plus I got my green in for the day (spinach). My husband had the flat bread southwest breakfast and said it was really good (pretty big too) and that he'd get it again.

After that we decided we'd better stop and get some healthy snacks for the rest of the drive or we'd be eating the box of donuts we got for Jason. Okay, so we split one (125 calories each) then repented and went to the store to get healthier food. After that we were pretty good about eating our grapes, bananas, and apples. We did get some of the Kettle Cooked (Lays makes them now too) chips that he likes to give him his crunch he needs. Overall though, we did pretty well. Even with chips our snacks for the whole day were about 300 calories + 125 on the split donut.

About dinner time we weren't sure if they'd have dinner at camp (it was almost 6:30pm) so we stopped at my very predictable Wendy's and I had the baked potato (no butter or sour cream) with 1/2 of my cup of chili on it (200). By the time we got up to camp I had already eaten 1100 calories and sure enough.... they were just getting ready to eat dinner. The husband dished up a plate as though we hadn't just eaten an hour earlier and I had a few bites of the dutch oven chicken (which was excellent), but that was it.

They had asked us to be the speakers and sitting around the campfire engulfed by looming mountains and acres of lush green forest was inspiring. Top that off with the smiling faces of the young ladies and it was a great reminder of what's really important in our lives. I have really missed these young ladies and our friends here. It was good to visit and I'll enjoy visiting more these next couple of weeks. There are good people everywhere in this world. It was especially gratifying to see the spiritual growth in some of the young ladies who have had severe struggles in the past. I enjoyed their updates and hugs and just knowing that they are on a better path and that they feel the love and support of their families, the girls there at camp, and their Savior. Life is hard when you feel alone and so many of our youth today need reassurance and support. Camp is a great idea and I know many churches offer it for their youth.

A downpour happened toward the end of our campfire meeting and it was so bad we had to run for shelter. We finished up and they served a flat brownie with cookie dough on top of it. I have never had that before but they assured me they didn't put eggs inthe cookie dough so it was safe. I'm guessing it was about 160 calories though. All total I had about 1300 calories today which is good considering traveling usually means bad eating choices for me. We had to head home after the meeting and it was after midnight because we visited a little afterwards so we got home about 1:30 this morning (thus the late post). The husband had to ref this morning so we had to come back. I am thankful for safe travels and now I'm going to go take a nap while he's off reffing. The house is empty and quiet.... very strange. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed