Monday, March 8, 2010

DAY SIXTY SEVEN- Healthy Eating Journal

Monday.... ugh. Waking up is always the hardest part of Monday, but after that, it's pretty much like any other day of the week. The more I think about the way we eat (as Americans) and why we eat, the more I think we need to do more to stop this epidemic called "obesity" in America. We have mandated warning labels on cigarettes and laws against drinking because of the health/death risks, but more people die every year as a result of clogged arteries and complications due to diabetes, obesity, and other eating related problems. I've been thinking.... what can we do?

1) PE needs to be revamped to include an equal amount of the "E" in PE. It also needs to be required, but PE teachers need to rethink how and what is taught. There is more benefit in teaching something like Yoga and basic cardio workouts than in weight lifting for the general population. I'm not saying eliminate; I'm just saying we need to revisit exercise that can be carried throughout our adult lives and also that all kids can feel successful at. Secondly, the way we eat is an education process.
2) School Lunch! Seriously.... pizza every day as an offering!! No way! There's a new show coming on March 26th called JAMIE OLIVER FOOD REVOLUTION. I hope it's more than a show. I know the Biggest Loser has inspired people, but not everyone can or wants to attack exercise with that intensity. It still inspires us though. I hope this Jamie Oliver show inspires schools to do more than remove junk food and pop machines while still serving pizza every day. I also like how our cafeteria posts the calories for each thing. I think it should be a requirement. Someday, when I become a principal (I just finished my admin. degree) it will be a priority that will not go away until it happens.. cuz I'm that kinda girl. :D
3) Fast food places need to post the calories on their menus including those in the drive-thru. I think if they can see that that doubledecker with all the works is in excess of 1000 calories... they might chose something else or downsize instead of supersizing. It's like the cigarette thing again. Even with warning labels... people still smoke... but at least they were informed and they know they're killing themselves. Sad, but true.
4) Finally, the marketing background in me kicks in and says, schools and farmers need to work together to bring healthy food to the forefront again. Direct markets and local co-ops as well as educating America in a unified front (schools and farmers). Call me crazy, but I can see the whole campaign in my head.
5) People like Oprah and Kirstie Allie need to come to the little people (like me) who deal with this on a daily basis in "real life" without trainers, or the money to buy whatever, or the press to pat us on the back for every step forward we take. Don't get me wrong... I love Oprah. I just think that she could still benefit and help America benefit from seeking out real people to show everyone how to do it in a "normal" household on a "normal" budget.

Okay, so that last one probably won't happen, but the other three are just the beginning of my thoughts on this and are very feasible. I had my oatmeal (no milk) w/berries this morning, for example, and before this journey into healthy changes, I would have wrinkled my nose at the thought. Shannon (today and tomorrow's coach) introduced me to this approach and I honestly love eating it this way now and it actually tastes watered down now if I try to add milk. I haven't had the acid reflux or the ulcer problems I normally have this time of year because of things like bananas, less lactose, less juice, no pop, and no eating after 8:00 pm. However, just remembering to stay up at least an hour (preferably two) after eating is as important as the time. Your digestive system needs time to work. For lunch I had my healthy choice frozen dinner (310 calories) and it's a cheap easy approach that you don't have to do every day, just throw in once in a while.

And I still buy the Girl Scout cookies.... Samoans (sp?) but it'll take me a month to finish the box (unless I share them) because I can't bring myself to eat more than one at a time. And, the thought of eating one every day, makes my arteries hurt, so I'm pretty sure they will end up being donated to someone who can burn off the calories a lot quicker than I can. And yes, I do have to stop and think ... so why buy them? Because I always have. Okay, not buying them next year... just make a donation. For dinner I sought out left-overs (won't see that on Oprah) and had a cup of the chicken spinach lasagna and a hard boiled egg. It just sounded good and I didn't have time to cook the chili (Sorry Shannon) because I had to go to my granddaughter's birthday party. No, I didn't have cake and ice cream and I'm not the least bit hungry tonight... not even for popcorn. I need to do my lunges and crunches (too much rain for a hike today) and I'm off to bed to dream of other ways to save Americans from eating theirselves to death! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. keep up the awesome work! congrats on getting your admin :)!!!! love ya! whit

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed