Tuesday, March 23, 2010

DAY EIGHTY TWO- Healthier Eating Journal

I felt like a teenager moving out on my own for the first time again!! Go crazy! Food crazy! No plans, no menus, just eat what I want.... Well, I did go a little crazy and it was nice not to think "what did my menu say to eat today" but... I did consider calories when I did eat. And... I didn't think about what I was going to eat today for the whole entire day. Big difference. The husband can be a bad influence, but today, other than the theater popcorn and pop when we went to the movies on a date (that's another paragraph), he was actually the one looking at the calories and saturated fats on labels. When we were in Walgreens he was thinking chocolate and he started reading labels. Holy Saturated Fat! You could have like 3 orders of fries for that! I can feel my arteries clogging as we speak. Another surprising thing he was going to buy and put back after seeing the saturated fat in it was Pringles. You think they're like a healthy type chip and surprise!!! His kettlecooked chips were a lot lower in saturated fat! He bought trail mix instead of candybars and yes, the saturated fat on that was lower.

I can feel that pop we shared sitting on my tummy and I don't see myself doing it again for a while (I've worked too hard to lose the tummy rolls and I'm down to one... so why would I), but it was fun just to eat what I WANT to eat today. That included NOT wanting to eat chocolate and I know all my former players are falling off their chairs in disbelief over that one.

This morning I was set to grab a banana as we headed out the door to my skin doctor appt. and I went breakfastless because apparently the pregnant daughter who lives with me had a banana craving last night! :D So zero calories for breakfast (but not something I'd recommend). I have to go to my dermatologist once a year so he can count the battlemarks of my years of suntanning and working in the fields. He lectures me about wearing the hat on my head, avoiding shorts outside, wearing long sleeves, and using sunblock on my face. He recommends Oil of Olay sunblock and told me that they have it at Costco. He said it won't bother your eyes if you rub it in it and it has good moisturizer in it. He's been my skin doctor for 12 years and he never forgets a thing (including a mole thank goodness). He always asks how my team is doing and then lectures me about the above mentioned if I'm coaching track this year... which I'm not. I'll go watch and help out a little, but I'm not coaching and he STILL gave me the lecture. I will say that he is an excellent doctor though and he stays on top of things. I used to have to go every 6 months and now I'm up to once a year again. In fact, this is the first time in quite a few years that I've left his office without a single mole removed. I count my blessings.... for real.

To celebrate we went to our favorite chinese food place. I ate way too much steamed broccoli and shrimp. I stuck to the two small plate limit and really didn't need to because it would have fit on one. I was trying to "go crazy" on purpose and it just felt weird and unnecessary. As crazy as I could go was having an ice cream cone (baby scoop at that). The husband even did very well and stuck to the two small plates limit and NO ICE CREAM. Okay he had a few bites of mine, but that was at my request. Oh, and I forgot to mention that while I was waiting in the patient room in the doctor's office, I decided that instead of just sitting there... I could do my squats, lunges, and tai chi moves. Okay, call me weird, but why not. It's no different than me doing them during commercials when I'm watching a show at home. Why not use those 20 minutes to work on a few muscles... nothing strenuous or sweaty.

So after lunch we headed to the husband's doctor appt. Another one of those yearly things, but like most men... it's more like every five years. More good news, things looked good for him too. We decided to go crazy and go to a movie (okay it was $1.00 Tuesdays at the cheap theater) so "crazy" is a little strong, but the crazy part was we had theater popcorn AND shared a pop. I could say that I felt bad or it tasted horrible, but we've just never been big pop drinkers anyway, so it felt pretty normal to have one once in a while at the movies. And... the movie was really good. It was Sherlock Holmes. I love a movie that challenges my analytical mind and keeps my interest. I was surprised I liked it as much as I did. From there we went to the eldest child's house to have dinner with his family and the other son and his family came as well. I had a taco salad (homemade) with salsa (no sour cream). And we watched yet another movie-- Blind Side. Everyone has been talking about how good it was. Had some potty mouth going on that we could have done without and it was interesting because it was a true story, but I liked Sherlock Holmes better. Some family members think that lady on Blind Side acts like me and I would disagree because she is 1) WAY prettier and 2) way richer. :D The story was pretty amazing though.

Tomorrow I'm hoping for more sunshine. It was a little chilly again. But today, I'm counting blessings for healthy check-ups and time spent with family. :D

2 comments:

  1. I love that you worked out while waiting for your appointment...i hope to encourage that behavior at whatever facility I end up workin in. Also, it makes me smile because it is totally something that my mom would do (I'm sure you remember seeing her doing stair stepping in the far corner of the gym during my vball and bball games). Love you tons and am sooo proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had to pick my first "go crazy day" to check in. I really have learned a lot. And yes... I can totally see your mom doing the same thing. I'd be interested in seeing her daily menus. I'm sure I could learn from them. As for the facility... I'd recommend videos (super easy) that they can click on (instead of a magazine) and have a wall mounted tv. Of course this was a skin doctor. If you end up being a heart doctor and you have a sick heart patient... probably don't want to offer yoga and pilates while you wait. :D You are still and always will be an amazing young lady and athlete and I love you too. Thanks for checking in. :D

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed