Saturday, March 27, 2010

DAY EIGHTY SIX- Healthier Eating Journal

Sunshine... on my shoulder... makes me happy. Okay, if you were not singing as you read that... you are too young. :D If you were, hopefully I took you back to happy John Denver days. It was an awesome spring day. All work intentions went out the door. I contemplated a pajama day (a true pajama day involves not even putting your contacts in) and I made it to the half way point and couldn't take it any longer.

Relly slept upstairs in the grandson room to give mommy a break and at 4:30 he whispered "scary" and crawled in bed with me bringing his Thomas the Train blanket and pillow. Then he put his little cheek on mine and fell back to sleep. I waited until he snored then moved him over to his own side so I could breath again. He slept till 7:30 which is about what time he's been waking up every morning this week since I haven't been going to work. We had cold cereal and half a banana (each). He's fine with drinking my skim milk. He got mommy up a little later and she put him in the bath. After I took him out and dressed him we worked on photo albums and he built things with his building blocks.

For lunch I made a spinach salad w/green apple, celery, shredded carrots, red and orange peppers, and craisins. I also grilled some salmon to go with it. I love using the cast iron skillet w/raised rivets to get the perfect grill marks. I cooked it in orange juice concentrate (just enough to cover the bottom of the skillet) and I season it with lemon pepper. I used the 1 calorie per spray spritzer on my salad and that was it for lunch. After lunch Relly took a nap and Mandy and I played solataire against each other on the computer. When he woke up we finished cleaning the house and I took Relly to the park. It was a great day for a walk and he loves the park. They have side by side slides so you can go down with them at the same time and he loved grandma actually going down the slide with him and swinging with him.

When we got home we played outside a little longer and blew bubbles. The bubble wands these days have like 6 or 7 holes in them so you get a horizontal and vertical row all at the same time. Pretty cool. I had planned on going to my school today and cleaning out one of my drama storage closets, but I was watching something on the news last night and this lady who had just lost her daughter was talking about how quickly they can be gone (the daughter was only 4) and how she wish she hadn't been too busy to do more with her. I thought about that a lot today and decided doing things with my daughter and going to the park with my grandson was more important than being OCD about my work closet. I'll do that during work hours.

After our outside time I came in to wait for Mandy's friend Samantha (Sam) who was supposed to cook dinner for us. Mandy asked me if I'd already put the chicken in the crockpot???? Miscommunication red flag... I thought Sam was cooking so I didn't do the recipe on my blog for dinner. Apparently Sam reads my blog too and she wasn't going to cook her Dorito chicken because she read on my blog that I was having crockpot chicken!! And I thought no one read this thing!! Luckily, I'm quick on my feet. I told my daughter we'd just try something new.

We did have the chicken thawed, so I decided I'd try to make chicken wraps... something I've never made before. I searched online for recipes and finally decided to do my own thing and control the calories. First I sliced up the chicken tenders in a glass bowl, then I poured in a cup of orange juice, 1/2 cup of Bountiful Harvest Tuscan Romana Basil and 1/2 cup of Bountiful Harvest Hearty Italian (these dressings have 25 calories per 2 tblsp.) Then I seasoned it with some lemon pepper, a little garlic, and some monterey chicken seasoning (I use the grillmates seasonings-- they're really good). I covered the bowl with saran wrap and stuck it in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate while we finished getting ready for company. After 30 minutes I dumped everything (including the marinade juice) right in the skillet and cooked it (turning it every 5 minutes) until all the juice was gone). I like my chicken a little browned too, but some people just like it cooked through and not browned. I didn't use any oil, but I did spray some Pam in the pan after the marinade cooked out so I could brown it. It was tender and tasty.

I shredded the low fat mozarella, set out the salad from lunch to use as a filler in the wrap and warmed tortilla shells in the microwave (4-5 in a towell for one minute). Put the cheese in there when the shells still hot, add your chicken, then your spinach leaves, red/orange peppers, apples, celery, shredded carrot and put just a little of your low cal favorite dressing on it or salsa. Avacado smooshed on it would have been good too. Don't forget to use the shells that are only 100 calories-- not the ones that are 150 per shell. It was really good!

Sam said she was going to bring me some ice cream but after reading my blog and seeing how well I'm doing, she felt bad so she only brought Australian red licorice (130 calories in 3 pieces (and they're like 1/2 pieces too). I passed. She said she tried finding the wheatables that I had talked about and couldn't find them. They're right next to the wheat thins because they're a type of wheat thins. She tried some and really liked them. They knew I had a smoothie written as my snack today, so they ran to the store and got the ingredients... awww. No ice cream or chocolate. I had a small cup of a strawberry smoothie that Mandy made. It was good. They also came back with Lays stacks. I warned them what we found out about Pringles, but there was only 1 gram of sat. fat in the Lays stackables and less calories than the Pringles too. My husband will be happy to know that. He was not happy about giving up the Pringles.

After dinner I whooped the girls in a game of hand and foot, then Sam whooped me in a game of liar's dice. It was good to visit with her and to see what a responsible young adult she is. She has two years of college left and has her own place, her own car, and works besides. This on top of the fact that she has C.F. and has had to deal with that her entire life. She's very active and was talking about hiking and a new exercise/dancing type class she's been taking called bodyflow. She takes the class at Gold's Gym. She likes the tai chi too. She said she's not crazy about the wii fit because she'd rather get outside and do stuff, but I explained to her that some of us prefer not to have an audience as we "attempt" to do certain activities that aren't nearly as attractive to watch us do as we get older.

It's funny how you can just pick up your conversation from four or five years ago without missing a beat. It was good to see Sam and it will be fun to have her around again. She said I got a good deal on my PX90 DVD set too ($5.00-- yard sale).

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed