Monday, March 29, 2010

DAY EIGHTY EIGHT- Healthy Eating Journal

It's easy to think "I'll just have one, or I'll just have a little bit." Problem is... it's mid-season and when I should be pushing the hardest, I'm sliding. I have a major sweet tooth. Went back to school and there set a whole bowl of jelly beans including the orange ones that taste orange. Oranges are healhty.... right? Okay, so you see my problem. So a few jelly beans aren't so bad, and I did just have yogurt for breakfast, but then the sweets just kept popping up today. I took one of my healthy choice frozen dinners (parmesan fish-- really good)and was SO excited because the whole dinner was only 290 calories. But then.... it was someone's birthday and they started passing out the carrot cake someone made. I'm thinking, "It's okay. I only had 290 calories for lunch. Besides, we're talking carrots here." I didn't eat a big piece, but it was normal sized. When I got back to my room I looked up the calories for carrot cake out of the box w/cream cheese frosting. 300 Calories are you kidding me!!?? That's more than my whole lunch was.

Don't forget to check out the Easter Candy Calorie Chart above this post. If any of you have a sweet tooth, Easter is almost as bad as Halloween!

So after the jelly beans and carrot cake you'd think I'd behave the rest of the day. But I swear the whole day was a conspiracy... and I caved so many times there's no way I could face a scale tomorrow. I have to face one Thursday. They fixed the scale in the weight room. Maybe they (the coaches in there) will push me. I need to be pushed. As I was getting ready to go home the eldest son called and they said they'd like to come to dinner. I love having them. Little Relly gets so wound up it takes three days to calm him back down, but I remember being like that when all the cousins came over. So, I didn't do the spaghetti.

They wanted steak and fried potatoes like Gma Shorty fires them. She adds a few onions and she doesn't use 0 calorie Pam spray either. I didn't have regular steak left, but I had elk steak, so I marinated them for 20 minutes then simmered them on medium heat for 15 minutes, then took them out and grilled them just long enough to get the grill marks from the riveted cast iron grill pan. I couldn't use all that oil on the potatoes so I cheated a little. I took half the thinly sliced potatoes and put them in a casserole dish w/a little water in the bottom and microwaved them for 6 minutes. Meanwhile I put a little canola oil in the bottom of a large soup pan that I usually boil the potatoes in and added onions and peppers. Then I added the other half of the sliced potatoes. I cooked them on both sides enough to get some brown on them, then I added the potatoes from the microwave and stirred them in without breaking them. It worked. It tasted like they had all been fried. They were all cooked all the way through and I didn't have to use very much oil at all. I seasoned them as I cooked them.

I had a bunch of hamburger buns I needed to use up so I spread them all out on a cookie sheet, sprayed them w/butter spray, sprinkled them with VERY little garlic powder (have to be careful or it's easy to overdo plus I've been reading that the powder has less sodium than the garlic salt), and broiled them in the oven for a few minutes. The kids loved them and I don't have to worry about how I'm going to eat all that white bread that I don't like anymore. :D I ate half of one and I added some corn to my potatoes. The best part of my day was having my son's family come over. I love being around my family. My son also likes pineapple upside down cake. You guessed it... my daughter made it and I had a small piece. After all... jelly beans and carrot cake (oh and a brownie left over from yesterday was calling my name when I got home) so of course I had to have a piece of pineapple upside down cake too!!! I had a 1700 calorie day!! I haven't had one of those in forever. It may not sound like a lot, but when your body is used to 1200-1300 a day. It feels bloated.

I didn't make very many healhty choices today. I feel very disappointed in myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed