Tuesday, March 9, 2010

DAY SIXTY EIGHT- Healthy Eating Journal

Lack of planning ahead bites me in the kiester every time!! It is, by far, the biggest lesson I still have to learn. What a setback day! Started off fine. Had my piece of toast and a plum. Lunch was a tuna sanwich on whole grain bread, some celery and baked chips. I also had some almonds for snacks. All of this was fairly normal except that when I was eating the sandwich I kept thinking, "I'm eating this because it's a sandwich, but I should eat half because I'm full." I didn't though; I finished it. Then when I got home from work my daughter and I were going to go to a ladies' church dinner but it wasn't until 6:30 so I had an activa yogurt and a slice of zucchini bread to hold me over a couple of hours. Well that's 200 calories alone. A tuna sandwich you make at home can easily be controlled, but when you eat it somewhere else, you don't know how much mayo is in it. I'm guessing I had 600 calories for lunch and I know breakfast was low (150 + almonds= 230. That's 1030 already going into dinner.

We show up to dinner and I'm expecting salad and spaghetti or something and they have French dip sandwiches with pasta salad. Then they bring out macadamia nut cookies. I'm thinking I should eat half the sandwich, but I get to talking and honestly, I'm just merrily visiting and it's gone! Plus, I really didn't think a sandwich would be that terrible anyway. When the cookies came out I thought "okay they're probably 100 calories, so I had one for my dessert. I got home, went straight to calorie counter and all I can say, is that I need to exercise 30 minutes tonight plus my crunches to at least work off the cookie. The cookie was 200 calories. Those french dip sandwiches are 500 CALORIES people!!! Are you kidding me? And this was the biggest shocker... pasta salad was 300 calories. The only positive was that I drank water and turned down sherbert and M&M's! I've been averaging about 1500 calories (snacks included) each day. Today, I put down 2030! I am so mad at myself. I wasn't that hungry at lunch or dinner. How hard is it to eat 1/2 a sandwich? This isn't about losing weight. It's about eating right. Why eat when you're full? Why eat more calories than you need? Why eat just to eat?

I found another web site that helps you calculate how many calories you burn off doing specific activities and it's calculated by your weight. The web site is: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc. The bright spot of the day was that I got up this morning and played basketball for 25 minutes and ended with 5 minutes of stairs. I might have burned 200 calories max, but that's a cookie. The other good news was that I found out that I really do burn calories when I'm coaching. I knew that because I definitely sweat! However, I'm not coaching right now, so I need to do other things. It looks like a stationary bike burns a lot, so I might need to think about getting one. For tonight though, I just need to do my usual stuff for a little longer and be thankful I can work off a cookie in a half hour. Most importantly, I need to learn from today and make better choices. Tuna without bread is fine-- in a sandwich-- loaded calories. French Dips are fine if that's all you're having or some light veggies. Pasta salad I might avoid now because it's a side dish. Mainly though... listen to my body.

I guess that's what I get when I think I've got it down. I let my guard down and find out that I need to put the training wheels back on a little while longer. {:

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed