Tuesday, March 16, 2010

DAY SEVENTY FIVE- Healthier Eating Journal

My body is still on the former time clock. It has definitely NOT sprung forward. No time to cook again this morning so grabbed some low-fat Activa yogurt (cherry) and a box of my new snack-- wheatables. LESSON 501- Do not take an entire box of any type of cracker to work with you to keep in your desk. Instead, take a ziploc bag and put 20 crackers in it. At 10 calories a wheatable-- that's 200 calories worth of snack. That box kept calling my name today and twice I answered. That's 260 calories (13 each time) because I took the whole box instead of just putting some in a ziploc. I am learning SO many lessons. Feeling guilty about the wheatables, I ate a few grapes, some fresh pineapple, an apple and 3 spears of celery w/peanut butter for lunch. I wasn't going to have any peanut butter, but one of the lunch ladies told me I needed protein, so I took 1 tbsp. to dip my celery in. I suggested some of the black beans on the salad bar, but she said they're not a full protien. Man, I learn something every day. Surprisingly, I was quite full. Of course that couldn't be the wheatables!!

For dinner I had 1/2 baked potato w/cottage cheese, green spinach salad w/orange bell peppers, cucumbers, celery, and tomatoes. I went for the crunchy taste salad today. I automatically put my lowfat salad dressing on the side. I only put the oil dressings right on top. I also had a 4oz. fillet of salmon that I cooked in the microwave with some fresh raspberries. It was all very filling. I made little Relly some broccoli and he shared w/mommy, but not me. I wanted to make him some cheese sauce and after the whole saturated fat revelations yesterday I compared the sat. fat in Western Family's velveeta equivalent to real cheese and BIG difference. The velveeta substitute had half the calories (of real cheese) and 1/2 the sat. fat. You can get the low-fat cheese, but you can just add a little skim milk to this W/F velveeta and zap it and you have cheese sauce. I tried a tblsp on my potato. It was pretty good. I wouldn't eat it a lot, but it was another lesson on sat. fat.

I also had a conversation with someone else on a diet and they were asking how I have managed to lose my belly and how I've been getting it to firm up. I'm sure they have ideas of me doing all this hard running and lifting and sweating to death. I set them straight. I'm simply focusing on strengthening my core. I swear by the crunches and squats and tai chai moves. It's more than just losing weight. It's firming your existing muscles. You also have to listen to YOUR body because different things and different foods work more effectively for each person.
True, some are just universal, but for example, when I eat my bananas, my digestive system just works right. When I don't, I can really see a difference even eating all the fruits and vegetables I do every day.

My parting thought is not food related. I have noticed that the thrift stores have really hiked their prices. I mean I looked at a used vase and I almost fell over when I saw the $7.00 price tag on the bottom. I asked a worker at one of the stores why the prices had gone up so much because some stuff-- including clothes-- was cheaper to buy new at a regular store. She said it was because times are just tough right now. Hmmmm. So more people are unemployed and have less money, so we should jack the prices up since these are the main people who shop at thrift stores. Does that make sense? I'm glad yard sale season is officially upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed