Friday, February 5, 2010

DAY THIRTY SIX- February 5, 2010

So did anyone try the Wiggles Workout? We really have to find ways to make exercise a more natural part of our life. I really have little desire to go to a weight room anymore. I've done that long enough. Some soup cans in my room are as much as I care to lift anymore. I do like biking and swimming (which are both hard in the winter), but even then, I like doing those with family or alone-- not in a group or as public exhibition. We all have to find what works for us. I think I went up and down the stairs 20 times (no exaggeration) chasing grandkids today. Now if I had told myself to do 10 sets of stairs... UGH-- not happening-- especially when I'm just starting to feel better.

I still like the Yoga and Tai Chi (with music) and I really do like to go for a walk or just do some exercises a couple times a week (in my room). I like to shoot around or even play team sports with people my age, but I don't like to make it the focus of my life. I just want it to happen because it's what I like to do. Now I sound lazy, but I'm not so that's why I can be picky. If you're lazy and you just like to sit around.... Get up... put down the big gulp... turn off the TV... and go help someone else if you can't help yourself. Or.... get someone to help you. I did!

Breakfast-- I made my daughter try the eggs w/spinach and she was turning up her nose and calling it gross, but she ate it. And guess what... she liked it. The throat is still recovering so I'm not eating salad yet. I had a sandwich and 1/2 cup of yogurt for lunch. For supper my husband wanted mashed potatoes and hamburger gravy so I cooked him some. I've always used evaporated milk in my gravy because it has good flavor and makes it thicker, but the calories are 450 a cup compared to 120 with reg. milk . Something to think about. And now I can't add flour to anything without thinking aobut 455 calories per cup. So, easy on the flour, use skim milk, and use lean meat. The mashed potatoes were easy on my throat.

On the way home from watching one of my students perform we stopped and picked up a few groceries since we have family coming into town this weekend for a baby blessing. My husband started throwing stuff in the cart and the first thing was his kettle cooked chips. I started to lecture about the calories and grabbed a bag of Lays and Clover Club to show him the difference. I was the one who had egg on my face (where does that expression come from)when we finished. 18 Chips and 140 calories for Kettle Cooked (0Trans fats too), 15 chips at 150 calories for Lays and Clover Club was even more! He was quite smug as he chomped on his noisy chips (if you've had Kettle Cooked you know what I mean) on the way home... and it was after 9pm. He did stop at 18 though since we had discussed amounts in the store, so I guess that's progress??

My final thought of the night is about John Wooden (go figure-- my basketball hero). I like to buy the socks for my players and give them the Wooden "sock story" to go with them. It is such a lesson for me every time I read it. He always started each season by teaching his players how to put their socks on properly. Some thought he was a crazy old man, but by the end of the season... or sooner... they got it. It's the little things that show we strive for excellence. It's the little things that make champions champions. From the time they step into the locker room and start putting on their socks, they are focused. It doesn't start with the blow of the whistle. Life is like that as well. As we strive to do the little things right, even when we hit obstacles, we are prepared and we do our best. We live in such a rushed time and such an egocentric society-- sometimes we need to go back to the fundamentals of life and living. Thanks Wooden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed