Sunday, February 21, 2010

DAY FIFTY TWO- Diet Journal

Fell asleep at 9:30 last night and didn't wake up till 8:30 this morning. I can't remember the last time I slept that long, but obviously I needed it. And obviously I slept through anything because I woke up to a sore throat and and a yard that had been t-peed. Alright Kali... I know it was you. If not you... my freshmen girls team. I will just say it was a rookie job (it cleaned up in less than 5 minutes) and your mom's gonna be mad when she finds out you used the good stuff. :) I feel fully welcomed into the community now. You are not loved until you are t-peed. :)

Well I tried the homemade peach cake recipe and I made a few adjustments if you look for the recipe in my blog dated February 20, 2010. First of all, it's pretty good for doing it from scratch and not a cake mix. I like the cinnamon and ginger, etc. taste, so I really liked it. The only thing I'd say is that you have to chop those peaches up and I think the canned peaches would be softer. You could also use pineapple or blueberries instead. The biggest change though was that I added light cool-whip instead of powdered sugar on top because it's only 20 calories per tbsp. Just go easy and it's fine. If you like a spice cake, you'll like this cake. My husband said he'd rather eat his healthy carrot cookies though. They are good. I'll post his recipe. We don't do any frosting on them (they're plenty sweet without it) and they're about 70 calories per cookie. He always makes cookies for my basketball team so I'll have them test them next time he's here and share the results.

My throat was still sore this morning so had warm hot chocolate and tried a piece of toast but it hurt. So that was it. Went to church and croaked through the songs (poor people next to me)! When you think of angels singing you would definitely NOT think of me (even with a good throat). Instead you might think of Gene Simmons without backup vocals.

After church it was nice to come home to a sunshine day so we could open all the blinds and let all the light in. Sunshine is healthy (unless you tan too much of course which I am living proof of-- dermatologist every 6-12 months for mole removals). It was also nice to have dinner ready with little effort. I love the crock pot. The roast and potatoes and carrots were just right. After that I baked the peach cake from scratch and my son-in-law got my husband's carrot cookie recipe and made those. It was a contest (yes our family is competitive) and I would say it was pretty even. My daughter liked the carrot cookies better but that's because she's a daddy's girl. Okay, she just liked them better, but she's pregnant so she ate both... need I say more. :) The cake was 144 calories per helping, the cookies (I had 2) were 70 each so I had a piece of cake (with peaches) and 2 cookies (with carrots) for almost the same calories as a candy bar. That's pretty good and a lot healthier.

I was dismayed to discover (after eating it) that a large serving of roast beef (8oz) is 368 calories. They consider that 2 thin slices or 8 oz. Potatoes were 70 calories (1/2 cup mashed up) and the carrots were 27 calories per 1/2 cup. The dinner was about 500 calories then add the dessert since I ate both and my Sunday afternoon total was 760. Normally that's way too much (for me) but I don't eat much in the evening on Sunday so I can still hit my 1200 calorie mark. Everything I've read said most people need 2000 calories per day, but I think we'd be fine with 1200-1500 at our age. If you're an athlete or just physically active, you need more calories. I'm not active enough to need that many calories right now. I'm having some warmed up potatoes with carrots mashed up and a little butter for dinner (no roast after reading the calorie count!!). And my snack is a cup of V8 juice (50 calories). My total for the day= 1160. That's pretty awesome considering I had two desserts, roast beef, and veggies (twice). The only thing lacking in my diet today as I review it is the green. You have to "go green" every day. I could have added green beans to the crockpot roast-- next time.

For exercise I'm thinking something that involves toilet paper, night time, and running if lights go on. Calm down dear... I'm not going to do it... this time. I'll act my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed