Saturday, February 27, 2010

DAY FIFTY EIGHT- Healthy Changes Journal

I have some habits in life-- some things I like to do even more than eating. They are 1) being with my family 2) teaching and coaching 3) shopping at second-hand stores, auctions, and yard sales. It's too cold for yard-sales, but the second-hand stores and clearance racks are out there. Now is the time to buy coats and sweaters for next year, by the way.

So today I made my husband a yogurt parfait: Low-fat vanilla yogurt, granola, blueberries (repeat 2 more times). And we had a slice of whole wheat toast to go with it. He was a good sport and I promised him I'd cook him his manly breakfast tomorrow before church. We both like books, so we headed to a second-hand store and shopped for books. I like the really old ones. They give me a different perspective on life and the world. I also picked up some cute wall hangings for $1.00 for my rental. My husband was very patient with my shopping today. I promised myself I'd by myself some clothes for each 10lbs. I lost. I am not too proud to wear the second-hand clothes, but my husband said, no, let's go to a store. How sweet was that! It's always easier to buy for others, so I have a harder time buying for myself.

I went to a store I like and went straight to the clearance racks. I found a few great shirts for 2 and 5 dollars. I even got a pair of capris for $1.49 and black dress jeans for $5.99. I felt a little guilty, but it was nice to try them on and see what a difference just 12lbs. can make. It really made me want to keep it up. Then he took me to Applebees so I could have my spinach and shrimp salad. He really spoiled me today. Okay, I'm just not a diamonds and high fashion girl ladies, so if that's your thing... good luck with that and go for it. Back to Applebees. I just have to say that I had never noticed how much dressing they put on that salad before. Order it on the side. We both had soup and salad and I was SO proud of the husband for making that choice on his own. He even said he was full and it was good. We did our last shopping stop (shopping burns calories I might add)at the grocery store and we talked about our food choices and looked at the calories, etc. He's having his bacon for breakfast tomorrow, for example, but he really was good about a lot of the food choices. If it sounds like I obsessed about the food today... maybe if we have weight issues... we think about food too much. Just a thought. :)

Played some cards when we got home and watched some Olympics. It's great to have your best friend as your spouse. We fixed dinner together and I had to compromise. He likes elk meat. He said it was lean and tender. I had him cut it up into strips and I cooked it in olive oil and used the GrillMates Montreal Steak seasoning on it w/some garlic powder (lower sodium than garlic salt). Then I added the fresh sliced zucchini. I microwaved fresh asparagus spears in a tblsp. of water for 7 min. to tenderize and sauteed the mushrooms on the side. After the zucchini cooked a little while (stirring every 60 sec. or so), I dumped in part of the bag of broccoli, pea pods, slaw and carrot shreds you can get prepackaged at Albertsons. I cooked this down a little then dumped in the asparagus and mushrooms. We didn't even have rice because we also had a green salad w/tomatoes, carrots, apples, and shrimp. For dressing I like to use the Zesty Italian and mix in a tblsp. or raspberry or strawberry jam in a separate bowl. Then sprinkle in the plain sesame seeds and it's a great taste. We have plenty for tomorrow too.

My students are always talking about "just hanging out" with their friends. Today, I realized that sometimes the best days even for us "older" people are the days we "just hang out" with our friends. It's nice not to have every day and evey hour planned. I'm so bad about doing just that.

Have to share a homophone funny (homophones are the words that sound alike, but are spelled differently). My husband was reviewing an application for a missionary about to go out and it asked for his ancestoral heritage. The boy put they came from "Whales" instead of "Wales". Okay, maybe it's only funny to teachers, but we thought it was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed