Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Trains and Trials

Had my primary teachers' dinner tonight. What a day. Seemed like I wasn't supposed to make it to that dinner so many things kept happening. First, I received a call hours before I was supposed to set up saying that there'd been a mix-up with the scheduling of the building and there was not only one but two other things going on including a viewing. They were moving me to another room. I tried not to stress and figured people would wander and eventually find the right room/event!

Then, as I was getting ready to leave school, one of our set pieces got moved and left a mess all over my room. I couldn't just leave it like that. I had to vacuum. I knew it would make me late to set up for the dinner, so I was stressing. Not long after I started a couple of my students popped into my room and asked if they could vacuum for me. S=weet! So I hurried out the door and got in my car. Turned on the key and nothing. Great. I thought it was my battery but when I got out I could smell the gas. I called the husband and he said it was probably the gas line popped off again from when they changed the filter. They musn't have got a clamp back on. I found Gary the janitor and he got it back on for me. I have to take him a cupcake or something tomorrow.

Then I was worried I wouldn't get it all done in time and my son and his wife showed up to help, bless their sweet little hearts. Anne and baby Maddi had just returned from being gone to Missouri for two weeks, so it was a double blessing to get to see them too. The set up went like teamwork thanks to a great team! It looked great; the food was great; the people were great; and the messages went as I had hoped they would. Our teachers in primary do such a great job of teaching the children the importance of charity and serving others (kind of like the students who vacuumed for me and the janitor who fixed my car and my kids coming to help). They teach about being like Jesus and of Christ's love for each of us.

I learn so much from their example as well. They are so awed by life's smallest moments and simplest things. A lot to be learned by that. So I could look at the day and say, "Man it was rough." Or I could realize that someone up there must like me because every time I got in trouble, he sent someone to help me out. Some days I don't always choose the right perspective. Today I am choosing to be thankful for all the help that was sent my way and for all the many wonderful people I seem to meet along this journey of life.

Our theme tonight was "All Aboard" and this is the poem I closed with:


TRAIN OF LIFE
Some folks ride the train of life
Looking out the rear,
Watching miles of life roll by,
And marking every year.

They sit in sad remembrance,
Of wasted days gone by,
And curse their life for what it was,
And hang their head and cry.

But I don’t concern myself with that,
I took a different vent,
I look forward to what life holds,
And not what has been spent.

So strap me to the engine,
As securely as I can be,
I want to be out on the front,
To see what I can see.

I want to feel the winds of change,
Blowing in my face,
I want to see what life unfolds,
As I move from place to place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed