Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Shakespeare et. al.

I'm looking for sunshine on a rainy day.
We had the Shakespeare group perform at our school today and it was great. After the performance they did a short workshop just with my drama kids and that was awesome. They have summer camps and workshops for high school students and we talked about those opportunities after they left. We also talked about maybe doing a drama camp for little kids, kind of like you do a basketball camp for younger kids. I think it's a great idea. My students often have great ideas.

Tomorrow they start their problem/solution presentations. The first day is always a little crazy worrying about if the judges will show up and wondering how the kids will do. They always seem to pull through though and I learn a lot from their presentations. It will be pretty hard to top the lego dino sculptures and pygmy goats, but again... they always surprise me.

My Young Politicians Club is meeting with the seniors at the senior center to help them promote an activity then they have a presentation to do on Wednesday. I read articles from adults who joke about students in high school not being able to think on their own and it irks me. I think they need to go back and look at what Thomas Jefferson or Ben Franklin were doing as teenagers. That type of an attitude (which is alive and verbal) is the real "dumbing down" of America. Out of one side of their mouth people demand more from public education and our kids and out of the other side they say they're not mature enough to know what they're doing when they speak their mind on issues. There lies the problem with education reform. Some people simply want to complain.

Anyway, my drama students learned a lot today then we had play practice tonight and I could see some of what they learned in the workshop carry over to the practice. I enjoyed the practice and though I stress about every play till it's over, I know that they will do a great job. Speaking of that... I'm going to go watch American Idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed