Thursday, March 10, 2011

Cabin Fever v. Spring Fever

So what is the difference between cabin fever and spring fever. I'm tired of being locked in by the weather and I'm past ready for spring. Ugh!

At least we have Spring Break around the corner and we can pretend it's going to be spring. Today the students were all depressed that it was raining... again, but I reminded them that that was better than snowing again like it did yesterday.... in March. Today was their last day of partner presentations for Speech and it was another awesome day. I laughed so hard I was crying during one presentation and I was not alone. Most of the females in the room were laughing just as hard including our visiting judges (who were all female today). I thought we were going to have to carry the one off. Remember that I have all freshmen. So two boys were giving their PPT presentation on Teen Pregnancy and were doing an outstanding job especially considering these are two kids who struggle with public speaking and can be rowdy. I was so stinking proud of how well the first speaker was doing but I was really feeling for him because on his notecards he had put some medical terminology that was just killer even for me. Then suddenly I hear him say something about missing your menstrual cycle, and unfortunately he butchered the word (said minstrel cycle) so he tried to correct it several time (each time the giggles getting louder) and then to make matters worse, he said "well whatever that is" at which point we all lost it. What made it so much funnier was that the boys in the room were looking at the girls like, "why is this funny" and unfortunately, someone said it: "Why is that so funny?" I could not breathe by this point so didn't intercept the conversation quickly enough before she said, "Duh, your period" to which there was a chorus of "ewwww" from the boys and the speaker turned 500 shades of red while the girls went into convulsions again.

After we all gathered ourselves, he continued and I must say-- minus the menstruation slip-up-- did an excellent job. It was honestly one of the best of the entire week. His buddy got up and surprised us all as well by not only knowing the stats, but giving emotional, convincing appeals about avoiding teen pregnancy. He also spoke out against abortion as an opt out. It was so interesting hearing it from a boy's perspective. One of the parent judges said that she had learned a lot from the students' presentations and that they had caused her to go home and have conversations with her own kids (she had judged on two different days). The kids really amaze me and I have to look past their quirks and bad days just like they have to put up with my quirks and bad days.

Grease Lightning practice this morning was a challenge. I'll leave it at that and say that we'll keep working on that. Beauty School Dropout group, on the other hand, had a great practice at lunch and they really look good. I canceled night practice since we split small groups in the morning and at lunch, so I could pick Rellie up with his little suitcase and he could come spend the night. Going to get the two boy cousins in the morning and going to I-Hop for breakfast. Watching Maddi in the afternoon and hopefully going on a date with my sweetie tomorrow night. Of course, sometimes just a movie at home is the best date when you're old. :)

Parting thought" I read today that our state legislators voted to increase funding for prisons and jails. They say a society defines its priorities by how it spends its money. If Idaho is INCREASING funding for criminals and DECREASING funding for education.... I guess that pretty much says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed