Wednesday, August 25, 2010

When it rains... it pours

My daughter had surgery yesterday to remove 14 golf ball size cysts from her arms. It was my first day with students so I was feeling guilty for not being at the hospital with my baby even though she's 24. My dad, who's a paramedic, went with her so her husband could stay home with the kids. I went over and cooked them all dinner when she got home (it was outpatient surgery), but had to come home last night and prepare for work. She was feeling pretty good last night but I knew she'd be really sore today.... and she was.

The first day with students went really well yesterday and it was nice to see my students from last year as they kept popping in all day to say hi. It's amazing how much the grow up between their freshmen and sophomore year. Today was more normal or "real" as I actually gave an assignment and went over the syllabus and expectations, etc. I also had our first drama club meeting and my daughter came in at lunch. After school I picked her kids up and brought them to the title company with me where we finally signed the closing papers on our house. My daughter is one of those "coupon queens" who teaches mass classes of couponing and she insisted on keeping her scheduled class for tonight. Her husband has helped her with them before so he drove her and helped her so she didn't have to use her arms and we kept the kids. I don't know how people juggle everything in their lives without family. We also had our x-brother-in-law come and give us an estimate for some carpentry work on our new (well it's actually old) house.

Despite all that went down today... I don't feel like I accomplished much more than pre-testing my students. It's going to be a little crazy for the next week as we try to juggle all the remodeling, painting, and installations, etc. on our new house with my husband supervising games, me attending evening functions at my school as well, checking on the daughter, and just trying to get moved in and back in the flow of the school year. And we need to make time for the grandkids-- especially since they're in a routine! :D

The good news.... I'm burning calories and have little time to impulse eat! Even through the stress I remember to start my day with good fiber, eat some fruit and veggies, and end my day with 50 crunches and a prayer of gratitude for the man upstairs. Even when we're busy, we can at least do that much to keep our bodies and spirits healthy. And despite all the craziness, I still feel very blessed.... because I am. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed