Thursday, August 19, 2010

Life Without Coaching

I had a horrible thought this morning.... what would my life have been like without coaching?

I have been very reflective these last couple of days about all the kids I have coached over the years and am I ready to give up coaching and go into administration. I was so close to going into administration just a few weeks ago and I honestly broke into a sweat... almost panic... thinking about giving up coaching. Am I ready? Well, I only came in #2 on their list (admin. interview) and I don't have to find out now, but it has caused me to reflect a lot on what I want out of my time and my career and life in general. I think of all the kids who have enriched my life and made me a better person and a more blessed person because they have allowed me into their world and I am just so thankful for that. I am so thankful for the memories and for the continued relationships I have with so many of my players even years after they graduate. So for now, I am glad that I have one more year. I have a few different options for coaching this year and I am still undecided about which route to go, but leaning heavily toward one direction. The good news is.... I am going to coach younger kids one more year. :D

Speaking of kids who have touched my life..... Congrats to Jac on getting engaged and I will definitely be going to watch her and Ky (another former player) when ISU volleyball plays BSU Oct. 5th. And I also need to go watch Sheryl since she'll be playing for ISU's bball team this year. It seriously seems like just a couple years ago that I had Kylee and Sheryl as freshmen on my varsity team. I can't believe they are in college already.... and Jac's getting married. And Whitney's been married three years! Really? Speaking of Whit... I love it when they do their own blog so I can go on and see all their pictures and read of all their adventures. Blogs are a lot more personal than facebook postings. I loved your pics Whit. :D

And I can't forget Kali. Bless Kali. She tried to teach me how to play tennis last night...... I stink! In my mind I am still young and quick.... not so much. And I can't get past "just kill the ball" mentality. So... she tried using terms I could relate to like... Don't be choppy, be fluid like a freethrow. Or... you have to close out on the ball (I thought it was more like a jump stop too, but she said no). At any rate... she got a great running workout last night chasing after all my wild hits. I really did learn a ton. I need to keep doing it so when she comes back from college I can show her that I've at least been practicing. Nowhere to go but up with my tennis skills! Thank you for being patient with this old coach Kali. We both burned off some calories. :D And fed 1/2 the mosquito population of Parma. :D

So today I'm making a little photo book for Grandma Shorty. Took Maddi for a walk this morning. She is so stinkin' cute! What a treat to see her every day and she's growing so fast. She'll be crawling any day now. We also have some painting to do... so I guess I better get crackin'. I feel the urge to say peace out (comes from living wth Jason), but I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed