Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Battle of the Bulge

This is definitely a lot harder without journaling my calories. It's just too easy to overlook calories when you're not writing them down. However, I can still add them up and tell them to someone (like the husband) and try to be more accountable. I told him he needed to help me eat healthier. So.... I'm trying that accountability route until school starts. Once school starts my healthy food freaks-- Kelli and Linda-- will help me stay back on track. Of course my biggest healthy food freak-- Kali-- is running off to college to start her own life. Hopefully she will find time to teach me the real rules of tennis before she leaves.

So yesterday I got a call from one of my former players. Her boyfriend proposed to her up in the mountains. She was very excited and I wanted to be just as excited-- and I was happy for her-- but I was also a little sad. I'm not ready for her to be married. She won't come over and eat Fruit Loops at my house or text me from another country or just come see me by herself now. Okay.... that's selfish. She is obviously very much in love and very happy. Any guy who can make her happier than her sports has to be the one. I'm sure her college coach is happy about the distraction. :D Her boyfriend is a good guy and he treats her like she deserves to be treated-- like the most important person in his world.

Marriage isn't easy. It's a 24-7 job and some days it seems like way more work than you should have to do, but..... when real love and trust are built up... the walls can weather quite a few storms. They also will have God as third party to their marriage, so they stand a good chance of finding a life time of happiness. So why is part of me sad....???? It's the mom in me. It's always bittersweet when your children marry. And all you want is that they'll be treated right, loved always, and that they'll give you oodles of grandkids.

So back to beating the battle of putting back on weight after you lose it.

#1- You have to have a partner in crime who will be firm and who sees you daily
#2- Count your calories even if it's just in your head (and report them to your partner)
#3- If you sit around--- GET UP-- Walk and/or do leg lifts while you're sitting in the chair or crunches when you're laying in bed.
#4- Drink lots of water every day
#5- Start your day with Fiber and Fruit
#6- Eat a green veggie every day
#7- The longest time we go without eating is when we sleep..... so SLEEP!
#8- Mental battles cause bad eating habits so figure out what's stressing you and talk about it with someone who HELPS you feel better. Mostly though... BE THANKFUL and take quiet time for yourself to reflect at some point in the day
#9- BALANCE- Balance family, friends, food, and work
#10- PLAN..... If you don't plan..... what you eat... what you're doing with your life.... how you will get out of debt.... how you will sneak in R&R..... YOU WON'T DO IT and you will make a lot of poor choices that will affect the way you look and feel.


Since I started eating healthier a year ago I have not had to take my pain medicines for my neck injuries or my muscle relaxers for my TMJ. I attribute that to the food choices and to my nightly small and simple core exercises. September 1st I am going to start a food journal with more research into both food and simple exercise that's sustainable as I get older. We had our offer on a house accepted today, so we will be closing on it the end of this month and my goal is not to stress eat between now and then. Wish me luck and don't bring me any sweets!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed