Wednesday, June 15, 2011

weeds, paper shredders, and scouts

It's finally starting to feel like summer vacation even though I'm still very busy and scheduled each day. Monday I watched Rellie and Fathead so their parents could get packed. They were both quite good and since Greg is still in school it helped my day move quickly. It's nice to have all my children living close by so they can pop in or I can pop in to their lives and I enjoy the informality of my family. When Jeremy and family popped in to get my new laptop up and running (thank you Jer) I cooked them lunch but as I was cooking I had a Gma Shorty moment. Daisha said, "Grandma, there's smoke in the kitchen." I told her it was the steam coming off the potatoes I was draining, but Stacy said, "No, I think she means the smoke on the stove." Sure enough... I had forgotten to turn off a burner and had laid my dish towel on it. Subsequently it caught on fire. I was able to throw it in the sink (since everything in my tiny kitchen is 2-3' apart) and douse it in water. There just isn't enough work/counter space in our kitchen. We definitely need to get a larger house again.

Family get-togethers are difficult when we're all together. This Sunday we'll be at Jeremy's house for Father's Day since he has the "big" house now. Saturday is Anne's baby shower and one of my friend's family rodeos. What a cool idea. They put on their own rodeo complete with pony rides, petting zoo, potluck, cotton candy, and the normal rodeo stuff. Another friend of mine is trying her hand at synchronized horse riding. They call it something else, but she'll be riding in her first rodeo with her riding group on Friday and Sarah and I will be there to cheer her on. We're all teachers and it's funny that people don't think of us as having lives or talents outside of school and being teachers. Sarah was a concert pianist and has traveled the world. I really enjoy their company.

Yesterday we had to go weed the garden at the auntie's house. They really could be a television reality show themselves. We stopped and got them a paper shredder on the way over there because their mail always piles up (hoarder-style) because they're afraid to put their mail in the garbage without cutting out the information (even their junk mail). At first we thought they did it to avoid identity theft but they informed us that it started 20 some years ago when a lady, a neighbor, got mad at them for throwing away perfectly good magazines. That told them people went through their trash, plush they were afraid of the lady, so ever since then, they have cut their info out of all their mail. They were quite delighted with the paper shredder.

The corn is getting taller and some of the other plants are finally taking off. The weeds were growing too though, so we spent a good hour knocking them off together. Then we had Chinese food for our date. That was yesterday. Oh, and each day I have been pecking away at a new book I've started. The husband is upset because he thought I was going to finish one of the others (book writing is the main reason for the laptop purchase) but I started writing a paragraph for one of my other books and had this great idea for a new book. Great idea #433. Hey, at least I'm writing again.

Today I went to Scout Camp and helped out. Scouting is a great program. The kids and parents had a great time and learned many things.... as did I. Service is rarely convenient but always a blessing when we put forth the time and effort to do it.

Had Jas and Maddi over for dinner tonight. Anne had church meetings. I am always amazed by the cuteness of a child. Maddi is such a little character and is so smart. Thanks for coming over Jas. Was in the mood for fish and stir-fry. I used fresh asparagus, yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms, and yes, butter. Not too much. I had Greg grill the fish (salmon) with an orange marmalade I bought. It was SO good. He dabbed on butter, then the marmalade, then sprinkled on the lemon pepper. It was really good.

Tomorrow I am finishing up projects that have been on the back burner way too long-- like sending off care packets to our missionaries overseas and vacuuming and dusting. Oh, and of course I'll keep pecking away at my book. This latest idea is inspired by trees and Greece. I may bounce back and forth between books, but my goal is to finish at least one of my books by the end of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed