Friday, November 26, 2010

Turkey Time

So before I forget, the whole breathing and counting to 10 when trying to build more patience..... it works. Our last bball practice was GREAT! I delegated some responsibility and gave homework to my captains and they did a great job. The team was focused on Wednesday and they learned a lot. Today we just had a shoot-a-round to work off turkey and they had yesterday off. Tomorrow they scrimmage the older team and learn some humility. Sure they're undefeated, but they've only had two games, so I figure having them practice against a harder team will get them ready for their game on Monday. Who schedules a game the Monday after Thanksgiving break?! Could be ugly.

Speaking of Thanksgiving.... went to the parents for Thanksgiving and all my kids and grandkids were there so it was nice. It was dad's birthday too so it was good to see some friends I haven't seen in a while as well. We had cardboard Bob (the cutout of my brother who is deployed) there with us as well and got some more pictures of him enjoying Thanksgiving with us. That was funny. Made us think of him too and we know he was thinking of us. My heart goes out to all of our servicemen and women who are deployed during the holidays.

So the husband has never been Black Friday shopping..... ever. And... he may never go again. :D :D Talked him in to going with me this year. We hit Wal-mart at midnight and when we pulled into the parking lot.... he began to experience Black Friday. He couldn't believe all the people. Once inside the store it was crazy, as usual, and I didn't get half the items on my list, as usual, because they were gone, but overall, people were really pretty polite. My husband was a bit traumatized from the ordeal, but he hung in there. He said he's doing all his shopping on line next year. We came back home and slept a little then headed out again this morning hitting a few more stores and crossing a few more things off our list. In between we did basketball practice and fed the missionaries.

Tomorrow we are car shopping for a little used car that gets good gas mileage. Something we can just pay for. We'll do that after practice. Then we're off to see how STacy's coming on the rental and if he needs any help since I am the painting queen now. As we had the three elders over for dinner tonight I was reminded of many things. Mostly, how some are not at home with their families over this holiday season. Either they are deployed in God's service, or deployed in their country's service, or they have alienated themselves or been alienated from their family. Whatever the reason, I pray that they are watched over, taken in, and reunited.

Forgiveness is sometimes posed as a one-way street with optional return, but I say it is a two way street requiring effort on both ends for true atonement and repair to happen. For example, Christ atoned for our sins, but we can ignore that and ignore him and never even acknowledge his forgiveness. Likewise, a person can be forgiving to us and even bend over backwards in suffering to help us in our life, and yet we can continue on our path without ever acknowledging or reciprocating that forgiveness. While it is true that it is our "own" loss.... it is more true that is at the loss and expense of both parties and not just one.

So as you are wrapping gifts and focusing on your own small circle, perhaps think of more important gifts, like friendship, family, love, life, jobs, etc., and step out of your circle to set things straight in your life and to serve others because service can always heal a weak or weary heart. You can't cross a bridge that isn't built, so it takes effort, but life's too short to limit yourself to the adventures and journeys of a one-sided bridge. So.... I will see which bridges I need to work on tomorrow, but tonight..... gettin' some hot chocolate and putting my fuzzy slippers on my tired shopping feet. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed