Wednesday, October 6, 2010

when zombies type....

So it's been a long week and it's only day three of the week. The good news is that there's no school for the rest of the week. I get to go to a conference tomorrow and listen to one of my former students who is a keynote speaker for the conference... weird. I'll let you know how that goes.
Got the students' broadcast news finished. Had to do it the primitive way because of such low technology at our school. Nothing is wired for live feed and very few things are compatible. It's been quite the challenge. Stayed up yesterday till 4:30am to get all 20 DVDs burned so everyone could insert it third period and pretend we were "live". I told you it was primitive. The segments my drama kids produced were great though and it was a big hit with students and staff. I am proud of the kids.

Stacy comes home tomorrow and Jeremy and the kids are SO relieved. So am I. I don't know if Jeremy or the children can go much longer on Ramen noodles and pizza. They have all survived though and the house has survived as well, so that's impressive. Monday night I went over to help out and was educated on the latest child rage-- shaped rubberbands. They trade them like we used to trade pogs. They're just rubberbands in shapes. So last night I made a trip to Wally's and picked up a bag of them in the shapes of Tinkerbell (just looked like a rubberband to me) and Scooby Doo characters. They were bracelets. I was told they have necklaces as well. Rubber band necklaces???? That seems a wee bit dangerous. Call me old. Nevertheless, I am at the top of the granddaughter's list of favorites now that I have supplied her with the rubberband shapes and trading power.

I also had a chance to go to one of my friend's house tonight and just "hang out" while the husband was supervising a game. THat was one of my promises and learned lessons from last year-- to spend time with friends and build new relationships. I really enjoyed it and all the adult conversation. She's a teacher too, so it was also nice to talk shop and swap English teacher funnies that only English teachers find funny. I am better for knowing her and for building new and lasting relationships. Now I just need to call Patty and ride that horse. Another day.

Last night I got to see two of my former players. They were playing in the ISU v. BSU volleyball game. It was SO good to see them. Jac took a roll on the floor in the second match and I had flashbacks to another time she had fallen during warm-ups. This time she got back up and kept playing though. It brought back so many memories. Memories of a girl with so much grit, and leadership, and heart, and this crazy, crazy love and will to win. She is a coach's dream. I could NEVER imagine her talking back or being negative. There's a reason she was player of the year. The girl not only carried the team on her back-- she ran with them on her back.

The summer before her junior year we were warming up for a summer league game and she went down-- my leading scorer. We were prepping for Weber State trip and other summer tournaments and I had entered us in the hardest division knowing she'd be there. My heart sank when she grabbed her ankle. This girl never complained... she was tough. When I looked at it though... it wasn't swollen. I couldn't figure out why all the pain. It was not like her. I insisted on an x-ray. The next few weeks were quite a journey. They found cysts in her ankle. At first we all feared cancer. We all cried. Then surgery. They cleaned all the cysts and filled it with cadaver bone. The biopsies were negative. We all cried again. She spent the summer rehabilitating and praying she'd be well by opening of the season. We had won state the year before and were set to repeat. She traveled with the team in her wheelchair and cast. She sat next to me and became the other coach (much like Shannon did the summer before). We grew closer and the team grew stronger. They had to without their leader on the floor. Other players stepped up. She encouraged and praised them along the way. She is a special young lady and she's getting married in two months. Life just goes by so quickly. I'm so glad I get to enjoy and recall the joys of my life and coaching.
Speaking of that... I'm beyond delirious and need to get to bed. At least I can sleep in till 8am tomorrow. Open gym starts at 9am in the morning. :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed