Sunday, October 24, 2010

Family Get-togethers

What a feeling it is as a mom to have all of your children and grandchildren in your house eating, visiting, laughing, and playing. There is honestly nothing better. I wasn't sure we could all fit in this little house we just bought, but it was fine and if nothing else, it forced everyone to physically get closer and stay that way. :D Aunt Diann brought Gma Shorty over so we could have a BBQ with her (yes it was BBQ in the rain) and we were all inside and it was good to spend time with her before they head to Oregon for the winter months. Aunt Diann is such a good daughter to her mom. She is loving and kind and always doing what she can to help her mom. She is also the "fun" auntie. Always has a smile, a funny story, and always has time to play with the kids. We enjoy stopping at her house on the way to the coast too. We love you Aunt Diann.

Stacy and Tammy, my husband's brother and sister came over to see Gma off too. Tammy has been moved out of state for a long time and just recently moved back to Idaho. It was good to have them there as well and to know that love is probably the best medicine and the greatest gift anyone can have in life.

So if you're wondering what kind of food we porked out on at the BBQ, well... there wasn't any pork. Just regular hamburgers and chicken. I made my potato salad. Gma Shorty brought a pumpkin pie (which I have been craving) and Jas and Anne brought fresh fruit. The bad food was the chips. Considering that was the only bad food-- I'm good with that. Oh... and Mandy made brownies. I made myself choose between the brownies and the pie. Pie won! I chose the chicken over the hamburger and being the HUGE potato lover... I did not choose between potato salaD and chips. I had both. THe secret to good potato salad (besides lots of eggs and pickles) is creamy poppyseed mustard (dressing). The fattening part of PS is the mayo, so I use light. Best I can do to make it lighter.

I am getting excited for the holidays. Jason and Anne took me to Haunted World and we have decided to add a cemetery to our haunted garage this year. All the festivities of Halloween have moved to Jason's house. We started a tradition years ago of dressing half dummies half "real" people as dummies, a.k.a. family members, and the trick-or-treaters are timid as they walk up to the candy bowl to get their treat. Then we moved it into the garage and decked out the garage with full black backdrops, cobwebs, cats and rats, fog, eerie music, etc. and we always have lots of visitors. The boys are often bigger chickens than the little girls. Just sayin'. This year.... we are adding "the cemetery". We're going to decorate the lawn off to the side of the driveway leaDing into the garaGe. And.... STacy and Anne are going to dress up as witches (pretty ones though-- not scary ones) and have a cauldron scene going on as well. Can you tell we like the holidays?

I love my family. I am married to best friend. We have great jobs. I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed