Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Let the Good Times Roll

For some reason old songs from the past keep creeping into my head and connecting to my daily thoughts. On the way to work this morning it was "Miss Independent". Hmmmm. Me???? Independent? Nah.....
My husband loved The Cars. "Let the Good Times Roll" waS a constant eight track playing in his truck when we were in high school. That and Boston (the band). We also liked Steve Nicks and the Eagles. One of our first "our songs" was a song by The Knack.-- "I was such a shy guy... couldn't tell you.. I... love... you". Ahhh. How cute. Still. That was in 1979 when he first sang that little tune to me. I digress....

My drama students did a good job today with their children's theater performance for the elementary. That's a big check mark. Don't have another play till the Christmas one. First quarter grades are all finished and entered as well. I have Parent Teacher conferences the next two days then Rellie gets to come spend the night again since his dad is having surgery and will need to sleep the day he gets home. Sleep and Rellie don't exactly go together.

I was doing such a great job watching what I ate at school. Then it became Halloween week. That means everyone has... and shares... Halloween candy. Before Halloween. Plus I bought donuts for my drama kids since I knew they'd be working at lunch to get makeup and set pieces ready for the play. Then.... my sweetie surprised me with one of my favorite dinners. He cooked me grilled salmon, baked sweet potato, and corn. And... he bought me my favorite pastry from Ridley's bakery. I didn't have a donut today... I had donutS. Bad me. I will repent and refocus tomorrow. The relief of grades finished and a production finished produced "happy" food eating. Okay, no excuse. I'll do better tomorrow.

Our anniversary is next weekend. I predict more splurge eating. Some days we look at each other and still see the 16 year-olds that went on that first date. Some days we see past the wrinkles and wonder how we could possibly be this old. Okay... he's playing some of "our" other old songs as I type this: Always and Forever. That one played at our wedding. Before that he played Surround Me With Love. I made the mistake (a good mistake actually) of asking him who sang "our song". So... for the last 15 minutes I've had a miniwalk down memory lane as he has played each of them on his computer. I predict the next one will be our "break-up" song. Obviously it worked out and we got back together. Who can sing a break up song better than Willie Nelson-- You Were Always on My Mind. It's still good. Oh, and we can't forget Rod Stewart. We still sing that one to each other: "Have I told you lately that I love you..." I love music. It touches our hearts and lives in a way that sticks in our memory and connects to events in our life.
That reminds me... children... you need to keep your promise and play "Spirit in the Sky" when the big day arrives. I have never been normal and don't want to go out "normal". God will understand. He knows me. Very Well. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed