Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bad habits

Well, I'm getting back into the food routine. I easily only consume 500-600 calories between 7am-3pm when I'm AWAY from the hubby, but once I get home-- that's the real challenge. It's easy to go out to dinner or have whatever yummy desserts we want or just snack because we're happy and together. I'm getting tired of green salad, but even when you order fish and chips, it's all fried. For example, Applebee's Fish and Chips----- 1560 calories! That's my total calories for the entire day! So yeah, don't think that because you're eating fish, you're making a healthy choice if that fish is battered and fried. You can skip the tartar sauce and pick off the batter, but that only gets rid of some of the calories. Red Robin's Fish and Chips-- 1180. I went to Buffalo's Wild Wings last night and had the fish sandwich (555 calories) but I took off the bun and no sauce so only 300 calories max (and 3 grams of fiber). But I also had the fries with it (280 calories). Their fish actually had very little breading and it was a large portion. It also tasted great-- like real fish and not mushy. So the good news-- I picked a good place to have the fish and chips... only 580 calories compared to 1560 at Applebees or 1180 at Red Robins. It was also a lot cheaper at 7.99. Just remember to lose the bun and tartar sauce.

We went to the movies after dinner. We have to sneak our date night in during the week so we can help our kids out with babysitting on the weekends (which we don't mind). We were proud of ourself for not getting the popcorn with our show, however, we did have a few snack size hershey bars (230 calories for 3). Almost as much as my fish!!! Add my cup of hot chocolate when I got home and I had a 1530 calorie day. Not bad for eating out, but not as good as yesterday when I only had 1300.

I have been doing my slow, easy exercises again and my 50 crunches again. That will help too. All it took was putting on a pair of my old dress pants and seeing that they didn't fall off. They're still lose, but... not going there again. So, I'm not going crazy and starving myself or being a food nazi... I'm trying to adjust, or rather merge, my healthier way of eating with having the husband around again. Wish me luck. I'd say the biggest thing is not to keep stuff around the house that's easy to eat unless it's healthy--like fresh fruit. I also need to remember to look food up "before" we go out to eat, so I can make better choices. Oh, and I've said this before, but don't think just because it says "salad" that you are saving calories. For example, the grilled shrimp and spinach salad that we love at Applebees is 720 calories WITHOUT the dressing. So yeah... don't be fooled. Look it up before you go.

The last thing I'll say is that your body gets used to the portions you feed it. It your food slowly. Drink lots of water with your meal. Try to leave something on your plate. Don't order extras. If you get used to large portions, your body wants that amount. If you get it used to smaller portions, your body is full with that amount. Right now, my body is in between, but I notice my tummy growls Monday mornings not long after my bowl of cereal because it's used to a bigger breakfast from the weekend. I need to exercise more on the weekends is the message there.

Well basketball will be starting soon and coaching burns off a lot of calories, so that will help too. In the meantime, I just need to get that husband to stop spoiling me so much. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed