Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mid-Life

You know it's the middle of your life when you feel like the years ahead are not as plentiful as the years behind. You start wondering if some of your dreams are unattainable and if you will have the physical ability to still do some of the things you had once considered. You wonder if someone would still hire you at this age if you switched careers (to go to law school or not to go to law school-- that is the question). And, you are constantly taking inventory of your body. Is this normal? When did that happen? Why do I need a paramedic after a simple spider stretch!

You also think about simple joy and happiness. The word "tired" is common and while you still have pep, energy, and fight you can rally on-call-- you need a recovery period after you use it! You want things to be quieter-- or at least I do-- and less complicated, but mostly you want to find joy in your simple hobbies and the things that consume your time. If those simple things are neglected or discouraged it begins to feel like you're just putting on foot in front of the other.

So.... self assessment AGAIN! I seem to do that a lot lately and that is one of the mid-life flags. I'm not assessing myself as much as I'm assessing my accomplishments, my blessings, my future dreams and goals, and the quality of my daily life.

Health and happiness are definitely connected.I can always do better with that so that I can continue to experience new adventures and enjoy the simple activities of life, children, and grandchildren. I also need to express daily gratitude. Ingratitude is unbecoming and self damaging as we become pessimistic instead of optimistic.

So I'm experiencing mid-life on my blog. Great.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed