Thursday, May 26, 2011

Inner Peace

So I went to Kung Fu Panda II. I loved the first one so much that I was pretty pumped to go...... What a let-down! Oh it's "cute" and all, but wait till it goes to Redbox or the cheap theater. I didn't laugh much (which is why I liked the first one) and it leads to KFPIII. Whoopee. The only thing I did come away with was a lesson that's very applicable to my own life at this time. With all the cuts to education and the demoralizing and disrespect shown these days for teachers, I have really struggled with my choice to become a teacher. In the movie, his whole objective is to find "inner peace". Once he finds that, he can conquer anything (even fire). Then we came out of the theater and the lamp posts outside were just coming on and the air was warm and fresh from rain and I remembered that work is not life. Life is. I also had the thought that "this is a challenge" and that's the adventure of life. What will I do with it? Will it make me weaker or stronger? I repeat... What will I do with it? And suddenly, I was actually kind of excited. In fact, I had a major brain fart tonight and I'm gonna fly with it this weekend. It's a crazy one that might land like a wounded plane, but I'm gonna let her fly anyway.

So when I was watching American Idol three episodes ago and Hailey was visiting her hometown.... this fan was screaming and freaking out and Hailey said, "Thank you for freaking out!" and she meant it. I thought that was so real and funny and unique. Hailey is a bit full of herself, but she is unique. I'm glad Scotty won-- who isn't, but how about the liplock between him and Lauren???? Hello! Millions of little teeny-boppers will not like that. They are secretly engaged to him in their future dreams. He reminds me of that big-eared kid that used to be on some ad years ago, so I don't exactly picture him as a teen idol (maybe because I'm old now), but apparently he is. And... he did a great job singing with Tim McGraw. In fact, I thought he sounded just as good and I was actually surprised by that. So life after Idol means I move on to... the Voice-- not as good, but I watch it.

In real life, Jeremy and Stacy are almost completely moved, my brother from Iraq is headed back there and helped the kids with their electrical problems at their new house (thank you Bob). Mandy is still being a coupon queen and Jason is wrapping up the end of the school year, as am I.

Today was our last day with students. I put together the Freshmen Celebration. It's tough being that age, so it's good to celebrate making it through that first year. I had a girl (well she's 20 now) I knew from a former school I taught at, come and sing for them (she's made a music video and has an album out). She talked to them about some trials she faced (including bullying) when she was in school and the importance of picking good friends and working hard for your dreams. She did a GREAT job and the kids responded very well. Check her out on youtube-- Kelly Packer, Seventeen. The song is called "Seventeen" so that's her video too. We also ate and did the photo slide show of the year. This year just flew by. We're all ready for the break, but it'll be upon us again before we know it. Summer ball has started and I love being in the gym again. I also love the beautiful pink flowers sitting on my desk. Friends are priceless. So is inner peace. May you find some.... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed