Wednesday, September 8, 2010

We're not in Kansas Dorothy

Well we are still sleeping on foldouts and couches as we try to get the water damage repairs finished. Everyone (including the carpet guy) took the three day weekend and they did get the linoleum and new toilet set yesterday, but the guy who's supposed to clean the carpet couldn't come today..... again. Ugh. In the meantime, our house is full of boxes, etc. that need put away and walls that are half painted. After tomorrow, everyone else should be done and out of here so we can start or rather finish everything. Tonight Greg's brother is finishing all the trim and I'm going to finish painting.

Through this all, I have been reminded of last last year when I moved into my rental at Parma and how friendly the people were from our neighborhood and the church I attended. I could hardly get much done because I was answering the door so often to accept baked goods and offers of help. I have yet to see that kind of hospitality here. In fact, I was about ready to pack up and move between the water break and lack of hospitality until I went to the local grocery store here in town.

We stopped at the store on our way home tonight to pick up a few things and the pleasantly plump (mean she was pleasant in character and plump in body) checker who checked us out was quite a live wire. We had originally started out in the line next to her, but when we saw that the checker was 80+ and it was taking her quite some time just to lift an item off the conveyer belt, we did the American thing and changed lines in impatience. (I will repent tonight). So back to pleasantly plump. Our new checker was very cheerful and stopped checking the groceries for the guy in front of us so she could call a guy over (who was limping) and tell him how great his fresh veggies were that she bought from him the week before. You could tell this made the man's day. And you could tell the guy in front of us knew her and was not going to interrupt. Well about the time we get up to the register, "Play That Funky Music" comes on the store speaker. Our checker starts busting the dance moves. I mean she was shaking the trash can and raising her hands in the air. Not even kidding. My husband and I had to turn away to cover our smiles and as we did this the cashier behind us bust out singing at the top of her lungs AND dancing too. I turned back around and a customer goes walking by with the head strut going on and he's singing too. It was all we could do not to burst out. My husband's eyes were watering and he let loose as soon as we got outside the door. I told him that I was just waiting for the 80+ checker to bust a move and that if she had.... I would have lost all composure. You won't see that at Albertsons or Wal-mart!!! Only small town Idaho. Okay.... so I'll give the friendly town thing some more time.

Tomorrow after school.... speaking of small town.... I'm headed out with a small group of drama kids to go pick some corn. We're selling it at the homecoming game on Friday. Tonight is the Powerderpuff football game, but I was too much of a wimmp to brave the possible rains showers. Friday we're building floats and praying it doesn't rain. Wet tissue paper stuffed in chicken wire just isn't attractive. As for eating healthier, it's a little easier to get in the routine again now that I'm back to school because I only eat what I take to school. I like the Healthy Choice or Smart Ones dinners. They're just the right amount for me and stay at 300 calories, plus they have good fiber. When I get home it's a little harder to eat right just because everything is torn up and hard to get to so it's easier just to go eat somewhere or pick up something to eat for us on my way home. One more day...... then I can't use that for an excuse. The grandkids are ready for us to have everything put back together and put away and finished too. That's when it will really be home, when we can have the grandkids spend the night and we can have all of our family sit down at the table together.

Okay... I need to go paint. Don't forget to do your crunches...even in the midst of crisis. I've slacked on my core exercises and my neck is starting to hurt again and I'm not sleeping as well. Don't slack.... like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed