Monday, September 6, 2010

Laboring on Labor Day

I'm writing this in the morning because I know I will be too tired to write it tonight. The husband is already over at Home Depot with his brother picking up more "stuff" to continue the renovation of our new old house. Saturday we managed to find one more light fixture at a yard sale, but we still need one more for the entry way.... maybe a second hand store. Still, so far we've only had to be one light fixture brand new and that was the big new ceiling fan in our living room. We got it on sale for $69.99. However, the other seven light fixtures we've replaced (including another fan) have only totaled $34 thanks to auctions, yard sales, and second hand stores. I was hoping to only spend $150 on replacing all the light fixtures, but if I end up having to buy a new one for the hall way entrance (it's a hanging light on a slanted ceilng, so I'm having a little harder time finding one), I will still have saved quite a bit by shopping second hand.

In addition to getting the light fixtures changed out, we also got the sink hole in the front yard filled, the rest of the kitchen stuff unpacked and put away, the trim and closet doors in the girls bedroom painted, and we found the wireless modem so I can finally get on my computer and not arm wrestle the husband for his. (It's not pretty when a grown woman makes a grown man cry). J/K Sweetie. :D

Yesterday after church we went to a family reunion and I enjoyed visiting with aunts and cousins I rarely get to see. One of my cousins, Kathy, lives right here where we just moved. In fact Uncle Virgil and Aunt Dorothy have lived here their whole life and their kids were some of my favorite playmates growing up so once we get settled in, I'm anxious to reconnect with them and make some visits. Kathy and her husband, Bob just recently purchased their first "flip" property and we had a ton to talk about. Now I need to go see her property she just renovated and when we finish this, she's going to come see mine. We also discussed our "next" potential house picks here in our area. The food was great as usual... especially Aunt Dorothy's coconut oatmeal cake (I'll post the recipe later) and they yummy ham and beans w/white beans. I confined myself to one dessert and stuck mostly to fresh fruit and fruit salads. The highlight of the reunion probably had to be when all of our grandkids went to feed the ducks. Rello got a little overzealous throwing the bread toward the ones in the pond and went swimming with them. Mommy fished him out and papa helped clean the pond muck off of him. They got him stripped down to his pull-up and only had younger brother's blanket to try to wrap him in. He's a big two-year-old so theat pretty much resembled a small cape at best. He started running and flapping his "cape" yelling, "I'm a little bird!" When I told him he wasn't very little compared to the ducks he looked at me a minute then started running and flapping his cape again saying, "I'm a big bird!" Nevertheless, he livened up the reunion.

Later we went over to Jeremy and Stacy's to check on the sick parents and see how Jeremy's college classes are going. While I was checking classwork in the computer room with Jeremy, Tucker (5 yr. old grandson), was in the living room telling his mommy that he had to use his "puke bucket" again on the way to the reunion. Thanks to papa he let her know it was because of "grandma's crazy driving". Thanks papa! Once he saw the swings at the park, he recovered quickly and we've since cleaned the bucket and returned it to the car as we're sure Tucker will continue to use it just like he did when we went to the movies earlier in the year, and now to the park. In fact, he told us to remember to put it back. Every car needs a puke bucket. I use the ice cream buckets. The lid comes in handy.

On a food note, the husband and I have been making sure we get a green veggie in every day as well as our fruit. It's so much easier when both of us have that focus. You can add green spinach leaves to a lot of things so it's pretty easy. The big thing is keeping healthy snacks on hand and healthy food in the fridge. Yes, we have our sweet treats that are homemade, but don't keep the easy open and serve ones around much anymore. Helps a lot. Well, I need to get back to work. A lot to do our last day off before we're back to work at school. It seems we're always laboring a lot on Labor Day. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed