Sunday, September 19, 2010

Spud Days and D.I. Run



We left for Shelley on Friday and Jeremy and STacy and the two younger kids made the trip with us. The husband had to be the administrator for the Eagle v. Highland football game in the mini-dome at I.S.U. so we left about noon. This gave us time to hit some D.I.s along the way. The boys hunted for second-hand book treasures and the girls hunted more for house treasures. We helped with books too. Stacy found a brand new shower curtain for a couple of bucks and I found two more light fixtures, a beautiful, large lamp, and other little bathroom items that we have been looking for. Saved a ton and spend very little. Took Jer's family to some of their friends' house in Blackfoot then went back to watch the game with the husband. Took a wrong turn somewhere and wound up on the reservation.... for real. Luckily I recognized the pink gym (had reffed there before with the husband), so was able to get back on the main road and back to Poci.

The game was.... NO DEFENSE. Drove me nuts. I literally fell asleep mid-way through the fourth quarter because it was simply.... one team scores, then the other team scores. They went into overtime since they tied and luckily Eagle decided to go for the two point conversion instead of kicking it. They made it and won by one point 51-52. We stayed at some friends' house in Shelley. They have a beautiful home and we are definitely stealing some decorating and design ideas from them. Thank you Lyle and Evelyn. He's a nuclear engineer and she's a science teacher so we have great conversations with them as well. They also told us about the star shows they have about three times throughout the year at the Craters of the Moon Planetarium. Lyle said they have a telescope that's about 26' across and you can see everything on the moon and other things. From their description, we definitely want to go there. Maybe next June.

We got up early the next morning to pick up the kids and take in all the Spud Days festivities. People were lining the streets two hours early for the parade. No wonder since it lasts almost an hour and they give out more candy than you get at Halloween! I forgot my camera, but I'm posting some pics from last year's parade. We also did some yard-saling and ran to I.F. to the D.I. and Sam's Club since they don't have a Sam's Club here and that's where Jeremy gets his mailers for his business. Stacy and I scored big time at the last yard sale of the day. Sometimes you get the best deals if you wait till noon. People are ready to be done, so they give discounts. For example, I love smell good candles and the lady had a box of them. I asked how much they were and she said... how about $2.00 for the whole box! These were the good ones too and they had been $2.00 each. Then she had a brand new laptop bag that was stylin' and she let me haVe that for $2.00. One of those Huggyblankets that's heated (still in the packaGe) $2.00. Some stuff was like 10 cents. Anyway, we made a haul.

Now normally this is good news, but picture two small children in the back (in car seats of course), their parents in the next row up, and us in the front... I was the only one who wasn't boxed in... Like boxes and "stuff" packed around them. No one could move. We picked up so many books (for Jeremy's business) and the mailers, and our suitcases, and all our yard sale and D.I. finds, that it's actually a miracle we got it all to fit. Then, finding a parking spot at Spud Days was another challenge.

Only in Shelley will you see kids doing spud picking contest, grown men and women doing tug-a-wars over massive pits of mashed potatoes, and an entire school district shutting down for two weeks for Spud harvest. I also got to see a lot of wonderful people including two of my former players who I haven't seen in quite a while. Aileen, or "A" as we called her is going to I.S.U. and is in the nursing program. Wow! So proud of her. And it was so good to see her. She said her little sister (who is not in jr. high, is the star of her team. :D Of course. Saw Makayla too. I still have the FRuit Loop bracelet she made. She played soccer and basketball at a college in New York and now she's transferring to Utah State. Plus... she's going to be a teacher and coach. Oh... :D So proud of her. And..... the best news of the weekend. One of my former players who just recently celebrated her first wedding anniversary, just found out she's expecting! Yeah! How Exciting! She had played volleyball and basketball at a college in Wyoming and transferred to I.S.U. last year. She won't be playing any longer... obviously, but will be doing something much harder...but also very rewarding. :D

We got back late last night and we felt like we had jet lag. We still managed to do a little painting though. Very little. Today, we had Greg's sister and brother over for dinner and JaSOn and Anne came over with baby Maddi. She was sporting two little poky pony tails. I'm waiting for the picture so I can post it. Greg hasn't seen his sister in five years because she's been in Florida so it was really nice to visit with her. Having a restful rest of the day and enjoying quiet time with my sweetie now. It was a busy weekend, but it was filled with good news and good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed