Monday, December 13, 2010

Slacker

I thought I missed last week, but it looks like it's been more than a week. It's been busy and I know there's not a ton that look on here, so please forgive me for being a slacker.

I don't even know where to start.... I guess that's why you should journal daily. I want to start with a thought that came to me a couple of weekends ago as I was driving to my hair appointment. I thought, "there's a difference between being happy and being merry." I don't know why I was thinking that at that time, but I have thought a lot about it since then as well. Some people are quite merry. They are pleasant to be around. Some people try to pretend they are merry and pleasant to be around... but the "real" merry people.... are just like that. They're not fake. Sure they might have a bad day, which means only smiling at 50% of the people they see instead of 90%.... but they are just like that.

I know so few of them. At first I was sad about this discovery, then I realized that I was getting exhausted just thinking about being Merry Milly. How long could I keep that up? I mean, there are days I really am in a good mood and smiling, and then BAM! Someone throws a mudball and I'm in "fight or flight" mode instantly. I just wasn't cut from the Merry Milly cloth. I am cursed. I care about people a great deal and hate to see others suffer or go without. A lot of that comes from growing up in humble circumstances, always having to work hard for everything, and experiencing some tough times. But those same life experiences that make me compassionate, also make me irritated by people who are constantly whining, blaming others, or using their bad upbringing as an excuse for bad manners. Bad manners and "know it all attitudes" get my goat.

So what does that have to do with being merry? Well, I started to look at what I do for "fun" in my life and realized..... I work very hard at work, at trying to make sure my kids and grandkids are taken care of, and at coaching others (in various ways). I'm so busy pulling the wagon that I forget to jump in and enjoy the ride (and let someone else push) once in a while. Ingratitude is another pet peeve. Is it really that hard to say "thank you" and to teach your children to say "thank you"? We are quickly becoming a mannerless society.

Okay..... I'll get off my odd soap box. I'm a bit cranky today. Had a game and we won again, but my wings are killing me. My posts did a great job though and overall, it was an improvement over their last game. I've been so tired it's mellowed me out too, so that's a plus. :D

Yesterday we took the kids, grandkids, and my parents on the Polar Express Train Trip. I love trains. The grandkids were excited and Santa and Elves visited them on board. Got some great pictures. Hated the drive home in the fog, but did enjoy the grandkids on the train. Took some planning and saving to get it done, but I think they will remember it for a long time.

Also got a great deal on a sofa sleeper through an on-line auction last weekend. Greg's brother needed one for his rental and I got it with a winning bid of $15. They picked it up Saturday and said it was in great shape. The plastic was still on the mattress of the fold-out part and had never been used. What a great deal! On a more stressful note..... I need to get to bed. Have to get up early.

Have the play this Friday at school and we're still not ready. That means early mornings, working through lunch, staying after, getting home late... and Pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed