Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Counting Our Blessings

I have recounted the simple blessings in my life so many times this past month. While it has been a year of blessings in our family, it has been a year of tragedy in others and my heart goes out to them. This past month has been so devastating to so many families in my life. First, a man not much older than my husband was sitting in church next to him in class and the next week, had a heart attack. His wife came over last week and she is still in shock of course, but her life has changed so much over night. They have a large farm and lots of animals and a son still in high school, and most importantly, they had a lot of their marriage years still to live out and dreams to see through. It made me go to bed that night and stare at the man sleeping next to me. We have basically been together since we were 17 and I don't know if I could do what she has to do now. I mean I know I wouldn't have a choice, but my heart breaks for her and her family.

Then one of our district employee's husbands went hunting right before Christmas break and they found him the next day. He had died of a heart attack. He had been helping serve breakfast at a school program just days before. I didn't know him well, but in a small town, it has a big effect and of course my heart went out to her and her family. Then, Sunday our high school's wrestling coach was out duck hunting and had a heart attack that took his life as well. He was such a kind and caring man. He worked at the middle school. He inspired many wrestlers as well. I have many of them in class and dread facing them next week at school. I also have his youngest son in my class. I just have so much compassion and feel so bad for this family. He has two other kids at the high school as well. His wrestling team will have a difficult time coping as will so many others. I think of the wife again and how she must go forward in life without her helpmate by her side-- the one who helped her build dreams and built them together. Time to hug my husband again and be thankful I have his socks to pick up and his corny jokes to listen to.

As if all of this wasn't enough, one of my students called tonight to say she was in California because her mom had died. This is a student who struggles with life in general any way and has been doing SO much better in school this year. While her situation with her mom has not been good, she is still her mom and this is going to affect her and the rest of her family. My heart is out to them. So much sadness during a time of hope. Thank goodness for the hope and the knowledge that all of these loved ones will be reunited some day. Thank goodness families are forever. Right now though, please remember these families in your prayers and remember how fortunate we are to have our spouses and families with us.

Amidst the tragedy there have been some rays of sunshine... some good news to remind us of the good in our life. One ray may be seen from a distant if it doesn't stop snowing on the other side of the state. One of my former players is getting married Thursday and I so want to see and hear her as she says "I do" to her new sweetheart. The weather report is not looking good. :(

I have been thankful for a much needed break and it has been just what the doctor ordered. It has helped me clear my head and refocus. I have also found joy in my life by watching my team grow. They have improved so much. I have also enjoyed watching my grandkids grow. They are all growing up so fast. Rellie is turning into such a big brother for baby Kayson. We visited him tonight. Daisha is practicing on her basketball hoop (w/break away rim) that I gave her and I think driving dad crazy with it :D paybacks. The other three are sick and I think I need to make a grandma visit to the sickie house tomorrow to see what I can do to help. Jason texted me today to tell me that Maddi took her first steps. He didn't get it on camera though. Still, how exciting! I hope the weather clears this weekend so they can return home safely.

Lots of prayers of both comfort and gratitude go out this week. Please remember to say "I love you" often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed