Wednesday, December 22, 2010

SAVE THE POTATO

In case you haven't heard.... they're trying to remove potatoes from the federally funded school lunch programs. They claim they're unhealthy!!!! Ridiculous! They can serve frozen pizza every day, but not those evil potatoes. Are you kidding me! In protest (and the thing that brought it to my attention) the chief of the Washington Potato commission ate only potatoes for 60 days to make a point about their nutritional value. End result.... his cholesterol dropped 67 points and he lost 20 pounds. His name is chris Voigt if you want to google it. He ate abotu 20 potatoes a day! Potatoes are the ONLY vegetable not allowed for purchase in the W.I.C. programs too. I might add that potatoes have more potassium than bananas and provide about 45% of your needed daily vitamin C. They have ZERO FAT! Get a clue people!

Since potatoes have always been my all-time favorite food (the one I'd choose if I was stranded on an island and could only pick one) you can imagine that I'm just a little ticked that they'd even consider taking it out of school lunch. Take out the processed food and you'd be making everything a whole lot healthier.

My last health gripe-- plastic. Not only is it filling up our landfills and emitting lovely chemicals into our air-- apparently it has some estrogen in it. Too much estrogen significantly increases chances of cancer-- particularly breast, prostate, and testicular. I've already penned my letter to United Dairymen asking them to consider this as they package their milk. Pesticides on foods is another estrogen carrier to be careful of. Buy organic or wash thoroughly. Being a menopausal woman, I've been reading up a lot on estrogen and I'm definitely NOT taking it. I'll just be a little grouchier and my hair will be a little thicker, but I will not increase my risks of breast cancer which already runs in the family, thank you very much. So please be patient with this menopausal women of the world and know that if you're female..... you too will be this way some day!

On another random note.... I need dilly beans. Anyone know where to buy them?

2 comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed