Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Friend Christine

While we were visiting GF for our high school reunion I had the opportunity to visit my friend Christine again. We have known each other since my kids were little. She has always been an example to me. Each time I see her sitting in her wheelchair I am reminded of how quickly life can change. I remember what she said after her accident four years ago.... "Laurie, your whole life can change in 10 seconds and you may not think 10 seconds is a very long time... but it is." I have never forgotten that. I think of the things I take for granted every day.... like being able to walk and see and hear... and I am ashamed that I sometimes complain.

I also remember how she looked when I visited her in the hospital where they had life-flighted her and her husband. They said she'd always be paralyzed and she'd never walk. It's quite a romantic notion to think that because it's your friend and she's this extraordinary person that she will beat the odds. Well she has in some respects. She has one leg that simply refuses to do a whole lot but she forces it to anyway. While I was visiting her this last time I watched as she walked across the room with the help of a walker and a home health nurse. Mainly she could hold her weight standing up on her own. The rest, the nurse had to help including moving her feet, but even being able to hold her weight while standing was amazing. It's not the ultimate result she wanted or any of us wanted but it's so much better than not standing at all or even worse.... not trying.

That's what I'm doing with some of my goals in my life.... not trying. I need to work on finishing at least one of the books I've started writing. I need to build my barn dream. But mostly.... I need to enjoy every 10 seconds of this great life. I have such a great family. I am very loved and cared for. My body has its issues and my upcoming mammogram is a dread moment because I know it'll mean follow-ups again and more testing as always... but at least I can walk. I can see. I can hear. I can take care of myself. I think we can spend a lot of time regretting, fearing, and wanting. We could spend more time being thankful, dreaming, and serving others.

I will be closer to Christine. I wonder if I will make the time to go see her more than I did living on the other side of the state. I wonder if I will take more time for all of my friends. It's a lesson I learned this past year.... the importance of friends. I wonder if I will forget that lesson this next year. I hope not. I know I take time for my kids and grandkids. Throughout this past six months of learning to eat healthier (a life changing experience by the way) I am left with one HUGE lesson that I learned and it wasn't just about food. The biggest lesson I learned is that balance is the hardest thing to get in my life. It is the challenge we face every day. It is what reveals who and how we are. I cannot achieve balance in my life without having God in my life. I don't believe anyone can.

So on that note.... I'm going to church. :D Tomorrow I will talk about Fiber and what role it plays in not only losing weight, but flattening your stomach. I am going to try to balance my blogging about life experiences and still keeping up on my current activities, but also reflecting on lessons I've learned in eating healthier and in life. Thank you to all who tune in to my life from time to time and who have helped me be a healthier, happier me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed