Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Brother and the War in Iraq

A few days ago I was talking to my brother as he was looking up information on the internet. I noticed his head was shaking-- like tremors. I had noticed it before when were talking a different day. He's two years younger than me and I'll be 48 next month. I asked him about it. He said that he'd had a reaction to the anthrax shots they make you take when you get deployed to Iraq. He was printing off the final paperwork for his upcoming 2nd deployment as he explained that. He was worried because he was reading information about the shots and you had to indicate if you'd had any reactions to the series. "So maybe they won't accept you if you did because you can't have another series," I said. He wasn't sure if he'd have to have the shots again or not, but he clearly wasn't happy about it.

I asked him if it'd be such a bad thing if he couldn't go again-- I hate it when he goes. He said it would because he's a sgt. and he said "I have to go with the boys I've trained." He didn't want the young guys he's spent all these months training and that he supervises, to go without him. He said he needed to be there to watch out for them. I could tell he was serious. I tried to console myself in a previous conversation (he leaves in Sept.) by saying that things are a lot calmer over there now (in Iraq-- not in Afghanistan), and he said in some ways it'll be more dangerous because they are transitioning and the majority of the troops they will be working with will be natives. A few days after we discussed this issue I read in the paper where a traitor ( a native who was working with British troops) turned on our troops and shot 4 British soldiers. Still.... his son just got back from his second deployment and he said it was a lot better than the first time they went. He said he was only mortared a few times this time and that last time he was mortared every week several times. So.... that gives me some comfort. I still worry. I am glad that I have been living closer to my brother this past year and have been able to spend more time with him.

On a different note... I am glad we are on the cooler side of the state right now as our children are telling us it's been 100 back home. Left just in time. Kali was also telling me about her latest buy-- a bodybugg. I had to look it up-- never heard of it. It's like a wrist watch and you wear it and it tells you exactly how many calories you are burning. Very cool. I told the husband I wanted one for my birthday. My children informed me the other day that I'm the hardest person to buy for. Really? Chocolate, cheap pearl earrings, gift certificates to eateries, pictures of my grandkids (parents can be included too), tennis balls, cheesecake, or old books. See guys, I'm not that hard to buy for. Any of those things make me happy. You can even have the grandkids put their handprints on paper and frame it for me. I love stuff like that too. I am however, skipping my birthday after I hit 5-0. The husband turns 48 tomorrow and we're having a big dessert social tonight at our house to celebrate with all our wonderful friends here. It'll be a nice way to say good-bye too. Looks like it's going to be a beautiful Sabbath day. Think we'll set up the tables and chairs outside for the social.

Remember to think of our guys and girls serving in our armed forces as we enjoy our Sunday afternoon and keep them in our prayers for a safe return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed