Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Boxes Never End

The funny thing about moving is that it forces you to reflect on your life multiple times. Like every time you open a box in a storage closet. Today I found Jason's old e-mails from when he was in Argentina on a mission and Mandy's homemade cards for our anniversary and Mother's Day etc. She used to make me cards for everything. Thoughtful child. She was the organizer of all birthday and holiday gifts for the parents even though she was the youngest. the boys just signed the card. In fact, she started being in charge of the husband's gifts to.... the ones he got me. That's when I actually started getting stuff I liked. :D

The second or third year we were married you know what he got me for Christmas.... a wool dress suit. I weighed 123 back then and I was allergic to wool. He got me a size 12. Even at almost 50 I don't wear a size 12. The next year he steered clear of clothes (wise choice) but for our anniversary guess what he got me ladies..... a cutting board. Yep! The other ladies were all so jealous. Then one year for Valentines he announced that we were going to get our Valentines the day after Valentines so he could get the boxes of candy hearts for half price. .... and he did. So you see..... I was relieved when the daughter started helping. :D

See how all these memories come back when you're sorting through a box of old papers? And see why it's taking me so long to pack! Jason and Anne arrived tonight to help. I feel like the Calvary has arrived. Jason is such an organizer and task master. I'm envisioning the garage all cleaned and sorted as I type. We have also been giving a lot of stuff away. The more we give away... the less we have to take. Two girls in our neighborhood (teenagers) stopped by to see if they could help today and brought me cookies. That was sweet. The people here have been so good to us.

Focus. No sadness. Just gotta keep packing.

I did get off to a slow start today because Whit and her husband came over for breakfast. It was so good to visit with them and to listen to their goals and plans and what they're doing now in their lives. I just kept looking at Whitney thinking she didn't look any different than when she came to bball practice, but her life has changed so much since then. I am so happy for her and excited to see her journeys through achieving her dreams. I am also glad she still takes time for her old coach. Means a lot. Thanks Whit!

Okay..... off to finish a little more sorting before I go to bed. Feeling a little sad, but I still have 4 more days left to say good-bye.... so I need to suck it up and get er done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed