Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Focus on the Positive

Sometimes when there are so many negative things that hit us at once, we have to reach out and grab the little bits of positive sunshine that we can find. Sometimes we may even have to create some sunshine in our life. Maybe we forget that we can do that.

We can also focus so much of our time and energy on dealing with the negative things that we suck the happiness right out of us. If that happens, we need to evaluate where all of our time and energy is going. If the result is not happiness or at least gratitude-- it's time to give more of our time toward happier pursuits. The pursuit of happiness is our life goal. Pursuit is an action word that requires action. Happiness sometimes falls in our lap, but many times is self made or at least has to be self acknowledged. To find happiness in nature you have to actually get out there and enjoy nature. Yes, smell the roses, but even more than that. Go for a walk, go camping, or just look at the changing colors around you to and from work. Enjoy your work. Enjoy people at work. Plan fun things or time for things you like to do-- like for me it might just be a cup of hot chocolate and a puzzle.

Don't overschedule. My biggest problem. Plan fun things, but not to the point you don't have any time to relax. Oddly, watching my students play a sport is very relaxing for me and is a "self" treat. It takes me back to watching my children when they were in school. It also makes me a better teacher because they see me in a different way and I see them in a different way outside of the classroom.

Balance is the key. It's hard to do, but it's doable. All work and no play makes us all dull boys and who wants to be a boy.... not me. Okay, it's late (or early) and I am rambling now. So much on my mind. I am headed to have a cup of hot chocolate and start my day out looking for some much needed sunshine. I wish sunshine upon my children's days as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed