Thursday, August 11, 2011

Summer Summary

Monday I return to work and my summer break is officially over. ugh. This summer has sped by before my very eyes. So much to do, so little time. It's not that I don't love my job, it's just that-- like all normal people-- I love my vacation. :D

1) Bob's Funeral
This summer has been one for the memory book. So many emotional highs and a few emotional lows. Bob's death was heartbreaking and unexpected. But it also brought together his three sets of children. We loved having Ben and Andy stay with us and working with Debbie and Margo for the memorial service. And of course we have become close to Aunt Joann & Bertie again and have spent more time with them this summer than we have in the past 20 years. So in his death, he brought us together. I am sure he was smiling down upon us as he went through all the ash incidents in getting him here and getting him buried and I'm sure he smiled down this past week when another grandchild (Andy's daughter) was born just 5 days before what would have been his birthday. So that was a profound memory of summer.

2) Grandkids
We have spent a lot of time with the grandkids going to the zoo, going to movies, going yard-saling, slip-sliding and hula-hooping in the backyard and wearing out the fold-out couch in the living room because they all must sleep together when they spend the night (despite the fact that we have two spare bedrooms!) :D They also enjoyed the Steele Family Rodeo and riding horses for the first time. Mostly they just enjoy each other. They really love each other. This has also been the summer of Maddi and Jilly. BFF. So cute. Oh, and Chubby is walking- -another milestone. Now if him and Jilly can just get past the caveman grunt. Oh, I was packing my room up today and putting away pictures and Jas and I looked at this picture of Tucker when he was little and it looked just like Chubby (Kayson). They could be twins. Tucker's such a toothpick now, I forgot what a chunk he used to be.

3) Family Reunion
Then there was the family reunion. It was as much fun planning because it forced me to meet and visit with my cousins, as it was having it. Well, almost. The reunion was wonderful. We loved having Little Mary stay with us and the whole day was a big success with so many reconnecting moments and memorable conversations (and activities). I'm so glad we took the time and effort to put it together. Great memory.

4) Wolf Creek
Then the husband and I took a little trip to Wolf Creek Resort and as always loved our quiet time together there. The scenery is always beautiful and restful. We always play our terrible game of tennis (we're terrible-- not the tennis) and we always go for a swim. We didn't visit Eden this time, but we did stop at a great little restaurant along the canyon on our way out of the resort. It sat along the river and we'll definitely go back. We also enjoyed stopping at all the D.I.'s along the way to look for books for Jeremy's business.

5) 4th of July
The parade ran right down our street and we watched the fireworks from our backyard. BBQ'd with all our kids and celebrated 32 years since our first date. Then Monday we packed up and headed up to Pine to go camping with Jas, Anne, and Maddi. Rellie came along as well. That was so much fun and again the outdoors and scenery were so beautiful and relaxing. The whole queen size mattress in a 2-man tent that Greg wanted to shove 3 of us in + the mattress was a bit distressing, but the rest was great. :D

6) Horseback Riding
After 30 years of not riding, I got back in the saddle. Went riding with my friend Patty. We rode for three hours. It wasn't just about getting in the saddle, it was also about accomplishing two of my personal goals this year. 1) riding horses again and 2) spending more time with good friends. Another wonderful memory that I hope to repeat.

7) My Brother in Iraq
One of the not so wonderful memories of this summer, but still a big part of my summer. Our stress levels elevated when Bin Laden was killed. Another big memory of this summer. Poor Jackie, his fiance, has had a summer of her own waiting for her Bob (my brother) to come home and going through not one, but two surgeries while he's been gone while going to college full time. She is an amazing woman and I am glad my brother has her in his life. Love you Jackie. :d

8) Family Trip to the Coast
Best Coast Trip ever. The grandkids were a big part of that because many of them had never seen the ocean. My parents were another cherry on top to this vacation because they've never came with us before. I loved having everyone there. We did so many fun and unforgettable things. We always enjoy stopping at Auntie Diann's and we got to see Gma Shorty too. On the way back we got to see Aunt Donna and Uncle Roy as well. The coast trip was one we'll all remember for a very long time.

9) Whitewater Rafting
First time- -We went down the Payette with the husband's boss and a couple of friends and it was awesome! I loved it. I'm ready to go again.

10) Ziplining
First time-- Went zipping at Horseshoe Bend with our long time friends Ron and Alice. It was a rush! We had a blast! I will definitely do it again. Showed the grandkids the videos from it tonight and they just wanted me to keep playing it over and over. Tucker is ready to go. I told him he has to wait until he's 80 lbs. Then I'll take him.

11) Gardening
We have not one, but two gardens this summer and they have taken a lot of our time but the garden at Joann & Berties has been a blessing in many ways. It has brought us closer to my aunties and Greg and I have worked on it together. Oh, and we are getting a lot of food from it. I know it's weird to put it on this list, but we have enjoyed doing it and seeing the fruits of our labors and I have enjoyed the peace of mind of knowing we can check on the aunties.

12) Fishing
This one is more for the husband. He hasn't had his fishing license in quite a few years because he simply hasn't had time. Truth is, we didn't make time. That is the big story of this summer-- we made time. We made it a point to make time and plan things that we love to do. Boy did we do that! He went fishing a little up at Pine and he's headed out to fish next Saturday with our neighbor and friend Dave (who lost his brother this year). Then in October he's headed up to go steelhead fishing with Ron and my brother. I think Dave might go too. I'm planning another girls night while he's gone. I don't know if I can top taking them to "Wicked" but I'll think of something. Maybe Shakespeare on the River.

13) Primary
My church calling has also filled my summer with primary children and activities. Our teacher appreciation dinner was fun and this Saturday is our big Primary Activity (which means I'll be up till wee hours of the night tomorrow night getting ready for it).

We have been so blessed this summer. So many wonderful, unforgettable memories. Today, I have three little monkeys sleeping on my fold-out getting in one last sleep-over before mem/gma has to go back to work. I also spent a few hours sorting and loading tubs from my classroom in Parma to haul to my new classroom at Columbia. I couldn't have done it without my son Jason. Thank you Jas! He is always so willing to help me. He had great news this summer as well. With all the teacher cutbacks many new teachers were rifted (cut) with the budget cuts and he was one of them. With his wife expecting a baby any day now, this was hard news. However, he never lost faith and yesterday he was offered a job in Homedale. It's a rare job with unusual duties that could eventually get him into administration early in his career. I know he is blessed because of his selfless heart and his desire to help others. I am so proud of him.

Our oldest son just has three classes to finish up his degree, but has also been blessed in his on-line business this summer. His wife does a great job with their finances and it's amazing what they are able to live on while he is going to college. Our daughter has had a time with all the Extreme Couponing backlash and might be looking into other job/careers. Her two little boys are growing like very tall and stout weeds and they have just finished renovating their house. Okay... that's bad English. Made it sound like the little boys just renovated the house. Oh well, I'll leave it as an example for you to learn from. :D

It has been a busy but blessed summer for our family. I am such a worrier that I decided that I needed to focus more on enjoying life and less on stressing about the what if's. I still did some of that this summer, but more than ever, I let myself focus more on the positive what if's. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed