Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tomato Soup and Emergency Rooms

Sometimes to get better we have to get worse. Horrible but true. I woke up Monday night with a stomach the size of Texas (okay, that's a hyperbole) and a lot of pain. I felt like one of the bloated Holsteins on Grandpa Tucker's farm. No, we're not talking PMS-- I don't have a uterus. Something was very wrong and no food was staying in for day two. After trying to "tough it out" I broke down and let the husband take me in to the emergency room at 3am. That was a long 7 hour process full of many ups and downs.

They were concerned with my gall bladder at first or kidney stones. They talked about my eating habits and I confessed that I'd stopped at fast food places a couple times last week in my trips to the Capitol but that generally I actually avoided greasy foods and ate mostly healthy other than a sweet tooth. They looked at me like, "yeah, sure you do". When the ultrasound came back negative for the gall bladder and kidney stones I wanted to say "I told you so" but I didn't. I had an x-ray that showed a blockage in my bowels. I remembered Grandma Shorty's blockage and that she had to have emergency surgery and my blood pressure shot up. Not because I was afraid of surgery-- this is no time for surgery. I have to go to work/school. I can't leave my students. I just got a new grandbaby. How will I help with him? I'm in the middle of speaking appointments to protest Luna's craziness. I can't just stop! I just got put in as Primary President and have a training meeting I'm conducting next week. The list goes on..... I suppose there's always a list in our head and never a good time for surgery.

The only saving grace about their discovery (and it was a biggie) was that it might be a "partial" blockage and not a full blockage. Because of my surgery two years ago scar tissue had built up and was not allowing full passage of "stuff" to properly exit my stomach. You may think that's not a big deal, but let me tell you-- it is! To compound that, all the air you suck in and all the gases created by any food you've eaten are trapped inside your stomache as well-- thus the bloated cow syndrome (they didn't call it that-- I did). I kept thinking about the bloated cows on our farm and wondered why they didn't make an incision and just let the air out. Turns out, if I do end up in full blockage (which we're praying I don't or I have to go immediately back to the emergency room) that's pretty much what they do. They stick a tube in your stomach to drain everything. But then they also have to operate. The only way to confirm if it was partial or full was a CT Scan. So, after already having x-ray and ultrasound, they wanted a CT Scan. I kept thinking, "Great, how much is this going to cost." At least my deductible for the year will be met I guess.

So before they could do a CT Scan they wanted to do an I.V. for the contrast dye (makes things glow so they can see them better). Normally I have great veins and I'm not a coward (unlike the hubby) when it comes to needles and shots. In fact I watch. However..... more drama. The first "girl" who came to draw my blood earlier, couldn't get any blood out the vein she chose (I told her they usually used the other one but of course she knew my body better) no matter how much she wiggled the needle until it accidentally popped out. We quickly stopped the minor gusher and she turned quite red. She disappeared and came back with a guy who smiled and said, "Let me do it." I pointed to the vein (on the other arm) that they usually use. He agreed the other arm looked better, but wanted to go with a different vein. After he poked around a while and I experienced way more pain than I've felt with just a blood draw he announced that he had missed the vein and proceeded to the next one-- the one I had initially suggested to both of them. Go figure.... it worked. Took three stabs (literally) but it worked. They had my blood.

Then with the revelation that I'd need a CT Scan, came the order for an I.V. You can understand my apprehension. The guy (not the younger girl) came back in a bit apologetic. I guess I need to poke you again. Great. Let's go for #4. He failed. Surprise. The doctor came in and said she'd do it herself. I explained that I was dehydrated and that was probably the problem plus I was cold. She said I couldn't have water because it'd make the bowel worse. She said she could do it no problem.... she was worse than the girl. She basically just poked and picked at the top of my hand never making contact with the actual vein. At one point (and there were many) she said, "Honey, you'll have to relax or this won't work". Okay, first.... I'm the same age-- almost 50-- so don't call me honey. Second, I was completely relaxed and donating my hand until she missed the vein and stabbed the top of the hand. At that point... yes, I tensed up. I sort of explained that to her, but nicely. By now, I had an audience as apparently word had spread that we had bad veins in room whatever-I-was-in and that no one could get my blood. They called the "queen of needles" and she appeared shortly after failed attempt #5. She proudly announced, "I will do it." I looked at her and said, "I'm done." I showed her my arms and all the gauze and evidence of failed attempts and repeated, "I'm done." They all met the "real me" and no one questioned. They quickly peeled off and left the room. The queen of needles looked stunned. "I can get it," she said. "You and the four people before you," I replied. The doctor ordered the oral contrast dye and I began drinking the 4 cups (no really, there were four cups) of contrast dye solution. The bad news-- you had to wait 1.5 hours after consuming the last sip so it had time to go through your body. What's 1.5 hours when you've already been in the ER for 4 hours and you haven't slept all night. I drank it and slept on the very uncomfortable, small ER bed.

When I woke up I had the husband call son#1- he has the gift of healing and I was feeling the need for a priesthood blessing. He showed up to help his dad with the blessing before I was wheeled off for the CT scan. Long story shortened (because it's already been long) it was a "partial" blockage and not a full blockage and I was put on a liquid diet and instructions to keep moving and work the air out when I got home. I was also instructed to return immediately if I started throwing up because that would mean the blockage was no longer partial and they'd have to do the tube thing. I was elated to be going home. I'd already called in sick to work and wanted to sleep. My one hour nap on the ER bed was all the sleep I'd had for the entire day. I was exhausted.

Wait, he said I couldn't lay down. I came home and did things to keep moving. I literally even tried jumping jacks. I drank some hot chocolate and water for breakfast and lunch. By the time Greg got back from work (he'd gone back in) I was starving so I knew I was recovering. Tomato soup has NEVER tasted so good in all my life. It was the first food that had stayed down or in for three days. That's when I knew I was going to be okay. Thank you Jeremy. I watched the news and was going to watch Biggest Loser with the hubby (he thinks he knows someone on there) but I kept nodding off on the couch so I went to my bed to take a nap. That was about 7pm. I just woke up from that nap and that is why I'm posting this at 4am. My 9 hour nap was well needed! I feel so much better. There's a little air left but with all the cleansing there's simply nothing left inside my tummy-- except tomato soup. And it stayed, so my system must be functioning again. I'm not going to eat anything heavy today and I have a little air still trapped in my stomach but the bloating (I literally looked 6 month pregnant) has gone down a lot and I can put my jeans on easily again. I am going back to work. Hooray!

In fact, I am so happy to see my students, I think I'm going to go make some cupcakes or maybe I'll just buy them. I haven't done my kudos cupcakes this month yet so no better time. I will not be eating any though-- sticking to the tomato soup. Despite my ordeal, I feel very blessed that the blockage was only partial and that the bloating is only temporary. The pressure is gone with the release of the bloating and I'm breathing easily again. The nausea seems to be gone too and I've had it since Friday, so I must be on the mend. While I've lost some weight in the process, I do not recommend this. I will be working my way up to light solids (like pudding) today. yeah! If I let chocolate melt in my mouth before swallowing it, does that make it a light solid? I am definitely feeling better. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed