Friday, February 25, 2011

Short Week

It was a short work week for me with Monday being a holiday (which I spent in bed sick) and Tuesday being a sick day (which I spent in the hospital or in bed again) and yet it was such a long week. I felt like I never caught up. I had a real meal last night and ate fairly normal today, so I feel almost normal but I am still having acid reflux so I will find out about that in my follow-up next week. I may just have to eat small portions until this summer when they can go in and fix things. Can't be sick or doing surgery right now.

Last night I went to the Blue and Gold Banquet (Scouts) at the church to show support as the primary president. I had no idea we had so many scouts in our community. It gave me flashbacks to the days when I was a scout leader (and that was many, many moons ago). Each scout made a cake and brought it. One kid had a "road kill" cat. It was the funniest cake I've every seen. I was a cat that came apart in the middle and there were red frosting "tire tracks" through the gap opening. Quite clever. There was the jello volcano cake and the lopsided BYU basketball cake (I thought it was a football) and the list goes on. They were quite cute. I was a bit timid about eating any of them however.

After that my middle son asked us to go watch his basketball game (adult) and we did. He had invited one of his old school buddies to play with him as well... Ricky. I used to coach Ricky and my son when they were in high school. Ricky was my point guard and my son was my center. They were close friends. Now here they were both married and each with a baby almost the same age. How time flies. It was so good to see him. It was odd watching them play together again. It's funny how it feels like it was just yesterday. Before the game I warned Ricky that if Jas got the rebound on top he better call for it because he'd still try to go "coast to coast" and forget he wasn't a guard. Ricky laughed, but sure enough.... it happened. Ricky started laughing right on the court. He said, "Your mom said you'd do that!" It was just so rewarding and fun to watch them come full circle in their lives again and to see them come back to the thing that brought them close together the first time-- their love for basketball. Yeah, it's just a game, but it's not. That's why I love it. It has brought so many blessings and people into my life.

Tonight I was looking at pictures of one my player's wedding and shaking my head at how quickly she has grown up before my eyes. Another one is about to be a mommy as they are expecting their first child very soon. I'm having dinner with another one tomorrow who just tried out for America's next top model. I could go on and on. I often wondered "why couldn't I have more children" because I had a hysterectomy at such a young age, but then I think of all the children who have been a part of my life because I'm a teacher and a coach and I know "that's why". I DO have lots of children. And I love them.

Tonight I watched a wrestling match for the first time. Like the whole thing and then some. Like quite a few matches at the Idaho Center (state wrestling). I had to go watch my students and watch Randy (the one whose dad just died). His dad was the HS coach and you could tell the kids are still recovering from it. Randy is in the championship match tomorrow. Might have to go watch. Never thought I'd say that about wrestling. Have to go see that new grandbaby tomorrow too. I can hold him now. Grandpa still can't. He's still coughing too much, but I'm not.

The superintendent at our school met with all the teachers after school today. Many teachers across the state are feeling devalued and stunned by such hostile attacks on our jobs and our schools. We are fortunate to have a superintendent who both sides with us and takes care of our school. There will be jobs lost next year and larger classes. There will be a lot of teachers who move to stabler states and/or get out of the profession. People think teachers are upset because a bill passed that makes them accountable. What a joke! They have no clue. Do they have a bill that will make parents accountable? Bad teachers who stay are a result of bad principals who don't do their job. This new bill didn't change that one bit. What a joke. All it did was cut pay, cut jobs, cut morale, and restrict local control. The one good thing it did do though-- is bring teachers together.

They keep cutting jobs, cutting supplies, cutting school days, and upping the expectations. It'll be interesting to see the next round of elections.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed