Saturday, January 22, 2011

When you smile... the world smiles back

I tried it. It's true. It has to be a strong sincere smile. I had a good Friday. School went well and practice went well. I really enjoy class discussions with my students when I see their perspective of the world and many things broadening. We have been discussing the Russian Revolution and modern Russia today along with Russia's stated intent to support Palestine. As I watch them thinking past their disconnected texting relationships and withdrawn i-pod worlds I see them getting the bigger picture of life and the world. Too bad that isn't on a standardized test. Too bad our system is set to teach to the test. Too bad I've had it and I'm just going to teach. If they fire me, I'll go back to my old job where I made more money without a college degree and didn't have to put up with government mandates from clueless politicians and mislead constituents. And they wonder why 50% of all new teachers leave the profession.

Back to the positive... in speech class they gave impromptus on random topics drawn out of a hat. My eyes and perspective were opened as well. We have some very talented and creative students. One kid honestly said to me, "So you want us to just tell you what we think?" My reply: "Yes, without swearing." We continually discuss the difference between having an opinion and having an "educated" opinion. One is learned; the other is earned. :D I feel like a ton of bricks have been lifted from my shoulders. I'm going to teach what I think should be taught and how I want to teach it. I'm going to push them, encourage them, and learn from them. I'm going to try to enjoy teaching again.

I am enjoying coaching as well, but sadly the season is drawing to a close. The girls are already sad about that and were upset that they might get a "bye" in the tournament if they play as expected this last week of regular conference play. That is too funny. "We'd rather play" was their comment. Well they have a dreaded "Monday" game coming up, so we'll see how they do. It's a team we barely beat, so should be good.

Rellie was waiting after school with his suitcase so that rounded out my happy Friday. He came to practice with me. This morning Jas and Anne brought baby Maddi over so they could go to the temple in Boise and have a "date". She is growing up so fast. She is walking around now. Not running yet.... but walking. She ate oatmeal with papa and pudding with Rellie. Shhhhh. The parents (our children) always tell us their kids nap.... we never see it. I guess we're just too exciting. :D

Here's a happiness tip. Please try it.... especially if you're a female. When you're driving down the road, DON'T THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO NEXT OR WHAT HAPPENED EARLIER TODAY..... look at the trees, the sky, nature in general. When you're laying in bed at night... DON'T THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO NEXT OR WHAT HAPPENED EARLIER TODAY..... look at the person next to you and focus on them. OR get some hot chocolate and a puzzle and focus on that. OR play with a child (or grandchild). Or read a fiction book. You have to take time to smell the roses, savor the moment, and LIVE TODAY. Women don't do that and we get stressed, fat, and discouraged or angry. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm the only one who needs a healthier emotional me. Last year was the body and this year I'm trying to find ways to a healthier and happier emotional me. It won't always be perfect, but just like learning to eat healthier, I know I can learn to be emotionally healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed