Saturday, January 1, 2011

Taking Care of Ourself

Last year I set a goal to eat healthier and to educate myself on the food I was putting into my mouth. I did that and I learned SO much and lost weight in the process as a bonus. It did change how I eat and what I eat. While I still have my sweets and I did gain back a few of the pounds I lost, I am happy with maintaining the 20 pounds instead of the 25 and I'm confident that last five will go off again after the holidays and after the weather warms back up so I can get out more. I know... excuses. Nevertheless, I want to share the things that stuck and are still with me one year later. Oh, and my recent blood work at school showed that the healthy eating paid off with my cholesterol and BP in great shape.

1) 50 Crunches at night laying down in bed
2) Only eat red meat 2-3 times a week
3) eat fish and almonds at least once a week
4) eat fruit and a green veggie every day
5) drink lots of water
6) check the calories and sodium on things you eat
7) still eating brown rice instead of white
8) Night munchies-- popcorn (100 calorie minipounch) and hot chocolate (80 cal. kind)
9) Try to have water instead of juices or pops with meals (holidays affected this a little, but the rest of the time I've been really good)
10) half a sandwich or one piece of toast
11) lite mayo or lite cool-whip tastes the same (lite sour cream does not)
12) Get your fiber (25 g) in every day
13) Tell people you're watching what you eat so you feel accountable
14) when you go through a drive-through ask how many calories are in whatever you order (yep, still doing that most of the time)
15) never drink anything that's over 70 degrees

Well the first day of the new year is almost over. Last year was the first time I set a really big goal. I am proud of myself for seeing it through. I have a new goal this year-- to get out my life list of my dreams and set some dates for them instead of just thinking I'll do them some day. Life is just too unpredictable to put them off... especially when you're almost 50.

So.... in hopes that I will do as well with this New Year's resolution, I am sharing my dreams and goals for this upcoming year in hopes it will help me stick to them. Once again, I will call on my friends and family to push me. You did such a great job with my healthier eating (I really mean that and I could not have done it all alone) that I am hoping you'll keep me on track for this new year. These are not new goals or dreams and they are all doable, but I just keep pushing them back. Time to stop that.

1) finish writing one of the books I've started and submit it
2) go to another country (Italy or Rome preferably)
3) get an administrative job
4) my red barn

While these are my goals and dreams for this year, they are not all that will or does make my life complete. I know we will welcome new grandbabies and watch existing ones continue to grow up. I know our children will continue to prosper and grow and in their own lives and I know my life will be changed and enriched by the students I teach and have taught and the athletes I coach and have coached.

I encourage each of you to share your New Year's resolutions and goals as well. It really makes a difference. Happy New Year!

P.S. Whit.... thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed